Side effects of Anti-psychotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side effects of Anti-psychotics

Hello Everyone. There have been a lot of questions about atypical anti-pyschotics(AAP's) lately, primarily dealing with their long term side effects. With the help of The Center for Addiction and Mental Health( a teaching hospital in Ontario) and a few other websites I have prepared what you might encounter in the long run taking them. Invega is not on the list as it is relatively new but many of the same side effects may be expected. These are all long term ones, not the short term stiffness etc you may expect.

The Chart goes from Highest and most likeky to cause something down to the med with the least potential for problems.

weight gain, diabetes : clozaril> zyprexa> seroquel> risperidone> zeldox>abilify

Movement effects, tremors stiffness, agitation(akathisia): risperidone> zyprexa, seroquel,zeldox, abilify

Sedation, low energy : clozaril, zeprexa seroquel> risperidone> zeldox
    and abilify.

Decresed *** drive, missed periods,discharge from breasts: risperidone> zyprexa> seroquel> clozaril and abilify

The above chart is out of a current brochure by CAMH. They also state that all antipsychotics can cause Tardive Dykinesia.(TD) That's a condition that casues people to have repetive involuntary movements. They can range from mild to severve. I roll my first two fingers and thumb together all the time, barely noticable, but my doc imediately cut me off daily use AAP's. TD is usually permanent. It can cause very serious facial movements, involuntarily sticking out the tongue etc.

CAMH estimates that the average long term user has a 5% change per yr of getting TD. I got mine in about 5 and I know people who have never been bothered by it, so average does not guarentee anything. Women are twice as men to get this.

AAP's can also cause serious Akathisia which are involuntary tics or twitches often like restless leg syndrome only more severe. If you have to take an AAP you can talk to your doc about various meds tocontrol that. I know it's not great adding another med, but sometimes we have no choice.

Some unlucky people may feel wired on the AAP. It's supposed to cure that, but for some reason an AAP will make a person feel worse. A few really unlucky people will feel wired and tired on an AAP. The only solution for these two problems is to give the med a good try and if nothing changes stop taking it.

If you smoke, you will probably need more of this type of med, if you drink a lot of coffee you will probably need less. Docs can adjust for this.

Antiacids can prevent your AAP from being asborbed. Allow two hrs between taking one and taking your AAP.

Never suddenly stop taking your AAP, always talk to a doc.

One drink will probably have the effect of two or three so watch your booze.

Street drugs or pot, your kidding right?

Anything to do with pregnancy, www.motherrisk.org

Old people like myself have a lower tolernance to these meds in general. Plus due to dizzeness etc falls are more common.

Hope this helps. No one can explain everything on a forum like this. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Holy crap that was insanely helpful.

I'm printing that off!!

Thanks for posting that!!
    Be well

Anis'ia

"It is no measure of good health to live in a sick society" ~ Krishnamurti

Comment

Great info Paul, thanks; although I take no anti-psychotics, one never knows.

I do take exception to one comment, however: "old people like myself", ahem!
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Anis'ia. Thx for yr comment. I confirmed most of the info through www.camh.net and www.crazymeds.us . I learned a lot of it first hand.

It's good to hear from you. Take Care. paul m

Hello Uni. I wasn't sure how to put that. Take Care. paul m
        Last edited by paul m; February 20, 2010, 02:07 AM.
        Helen Keller

Comment

Well done Paul.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Everyone. CAMH offers 4 brochures for free on meds. I don't know if they will ship out of Ontario or not, but here is some info.

The Center for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has a series of brochures/booklets out on understanding psychiatric medication. These brochures are very information. The one on antidepressants(A/Ds) lists information about 20 different A/Ds in 6 different classes.

It has info on a wide range of topics from side effects to pregnancy. They are also all very easy to read.

The brochure on Antipsychotics has a chart on which med is most likely to cause various un wanted side effects ,weight gain, diabetes etc(for this class).

There are 4 in this series A/Ds , Antipsychotics, Benzodiazepines, and Mood Stabilzers. Some better than others, all good though.

Easy to get too. Call 1-800-463-6273 or 416-595-6111 and ask about Understanding Psychiatric Medications brochures. They will mail you one of each that you ask about for free. You can't beat that.

This series is not perfect of course, they would have to mail out an inch thick book to make it that, but they are easy to read and informative. But they impressed me and that's tough to do. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Sounds like good stuff Paul; thanks for the info.
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'll have to call and see if they can mail it "overseas", to Newfoundland.
                Take Care,
                Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Hello Karen. You people have mail service now! Who knew. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
                    Hello Karen. You people have mail service now! Who knew.
                    Take Care,
                    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                    "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Paul, thanks for the info, it was very helpful. My doctor once suggested abilify for me and I researched and researched about it, and from what I've seen and learned Abilify is one of the worst. As well, I have a question : I've heard people say once you start AAP, you can never go back to the way you were before it, do you happen to know if that's true?

Thanks
                      -JD14

Comment

Hello JD14. Thx for the thx. In regard to anyone medicine being bad or worse that is often only a comparititive thing. For example many people really do not like lorazepam and some docs will not perscribe it, but for some of us it's a God send.

You will find anti-psychotics like that too, what works for one person will not work for everyone.

In regard to your question. "I've heard people say once you start AAP, you can never go back to the way you were before it, do you happen to know if that's true".

Assuming you have the mental health to do so, you can always stop AAP's. In fact they are some of the easiest meds to wean off. I've taken just about every type (except abilify) and my son has taken several types too and neither one of us takes one currently. Are we the same as before we started taking them? No, I'm better or at least I think I am. (same with my son, we both have bipolar). I do have a repeative rolling of my fingers that appears to be permanent, but that's the only minor side effect I still have.

Once in a long while, my mania will get out of control and I take an AAP(seroquel) in large doses to settle things down. I don't like it, but it works and the alternatives for me are far worse. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

old anti-psychotics

lots of people forget about the old anti-psychotics because there's new stuff out, but the old stuff does work. it works for me and i think that if you are a person who gets highly manic and for whom those meds don't work immediatly there are stronger and faster acting medication.
                          Theyre just less talked about.
                          Saved my sanity many times. I use atypical and the old ones.

YES I know, Tardive dysknesia is popping in your mind when i talk about haldol or others, but they're used in hospitals so that meanns they're still good at something.

Otherwise they wouldn't be used.....

Comment

Hello Lyxia. I agree about the older ones. In regards to TD, my theory is if I don't take something to stop my mania, living in a refridgerator box under a bridge would be the alternative, assuming I was still alive. Sometimes TD isn't the worser thing. Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Paul - you have such an accepting attitude. I can sense that you have made peace with your illness. I wish so much for the same. But I guess I can't wish for it - I have to work for it, but sometimes the effort feels unsurmountable.
                              Stormy

Comment

Working...
                              X