Alternatives to Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to Lithium

Currently on 1000 Lithium and set to see my Psych this week. Have mentioned that I hate Lithium with a vengeance. But what are the alternatives to Lithium? For a unipolar patient. If any what are the side effects of these drugs.
    Would appreciate the advice of real people rather than my psychiatrist.

Hello FBR. The next most poplar treatment seems to be mood stabilizers (, anticonvulsants) , than antipsychotic drugs, followed by some combo of them. I was on lithium and a mood stabilizers . Each medication has it's own side effect,currently I take Zyprexa, seroquel and lorazepam. I have included a listed a couple of web pages that may be of some help,Take Care, paul m https://www.healthline.com/health/mo...edication-list https://www.camh.ca/en/health-info/m...tic-medication
    Last edited by paul m; December 12, 2020, 08:21 PM.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hello FBR. As far as I know, the main alternatives are mood stabilizers. Epival (valproic acid) and Lamictal (lamotrigine) being two. As Paul has mentioned, each med has its own unique potential side effects. I think it's a great idea to check out the websites Paul has linked to for more details. Meanwhile, I wish you the best with your appointment this week!
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I must admit I haven't checked out the link that Paul M. provided, but in my own experience anti-psychotics have been used as mood stabilisers for many years. Caveat: I have bipolar, so the chemical action may be different than for you.

Comment

As an aside, I have found pharmacists to be a fount of information about medications - you could try there.

Comment

Working...
          X