Arrhythmia from antidepressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrhythmia from antidepressants

Does anyone know what may have caused my swollen heart muscle (myocarditis) as I was withdrawing from antidepressants and antipsychotics?

I seem smart. I have a master's degree, worked as a writer, and even won first-place in a national writing competition, but I struggle with my memory now, which is vastly improved after a series of head injuries. I still have executive function difficulties and short-term memory problems following a series of concussions, but I'm trying to get back to where I was cognitively. My memory was so bad at one point that a neurologist told my psychiatrist to remove me from as much antidepressant and antipsychotic medication as possible. I was withdrawn from 70% of my medication.

The head injury seems to have left me with ADHD, which some new peer-reviewed research studies suggest is not genetic and doesn't result from problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development. This is how most ADHD comes about. I lost my hearing in one ear from my concussions, supposedly from nerve damage, but this has returned.

What's really interesting: After doctors reduced my psychiatric medication by 70% in the last year or so to deal with my huge memory problems, I was rushed to hospital with arrhythmia. I don't know if stress and my rebounding emotions (previously kept at bay by the medication I took) overloaded my body to cause the arrhythmia and a swollen heart muscle (myocarditis), or if the arrhythmia may have resulted from a new antidepressant I took (Trintellix), in addition to Trazodone and
    Fluvoxamine? Trintellix is one of the many types of psychiatric medications (antidepressants and antipsychotics) that causes long QT syndrome in some people. Doctors said they detected long QT syndrome in me when I was hospitalized with heart issues.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with arrhythmia, long QT syndrome, or intense emotions that can cause a swollen heart muscle? I've read about broken heart syndrome (cardiomyopathy), and wondered if this may have been the case? I did NOT have a viral or bacterial infection when my heart incident occurred last December.
    Last edited by Complex-PTSD_Girl; May 16, 2021, 07:53 PM.

I am sorry about your memory loss, I am glad that it is has improved over time. Have you searched through the side effects for each medication that you were taking? I was also wondering if you discussed your concerns with your doctor? Hopefully, they can shed some light on your question. I would also recommend an assessment to help determine if you have ADHD.

Mocha231

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha231 View Post
      I am sorry about your memory loss, I am glad that it is has improved over time. Have you searched through the side effects for each medication that you were taking? I was also wondering if you discussed your concerns with your doctor? Hopefully, they can shed some light on your question. I would also recommend an assessment to help determine if you have ADHD.

Mocha231
      Thanks for your suggestions. My neurologist has referred me for ADHD testing. I was taking Seroquel (an antipsychotic) and overprescribed antidepressants, which meant I was taking too many when my short-term memory problems became so severe that I had to search for most of the objects I set down around me because I couldn't recall, even seconds after I set them down, where they were. This followed my major head injury, series of concussions, and menopause. Lots of doctors weighed in on my heart issues but only nurses in a hospital cardiac ward thought my arrhythmia and swollen heart issue were stress induced. My post above focuses on a lot of topics, so I can understand why I didn't get replies. I have trouble organizing my posts, which is related to my cognitive issues.

Comment

You are very welcome Complex PTSD-Girl. I would suggest writing down when you take your medication to avoid taking too much of it. If you are diagnosed with ADHD counselling or medications can help reduce the symptoms and are two good treatment options to consider.

Mocha231

Comment

Some people find it helpful to have the pharmacy blister pack their medication. It takes the guessing out of, 'Did I or did I not take my medication this AM?'. Some pharmacies will charge a fee for this service but there is usually some flexibility in the dollar amount, or the fee might be waived.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
          X