No announcement yet.

Mood vs Personality Disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is frustrating to know that because you're functioning well enough to go to work, you don't have access to their programs until you aren't well enough to go to work! I guess the concept of preventative medicine is lost somewhere in all that.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

hi Bluebandaid,

what you say in your last posting is so true... we're like hamsters running in the wheel of their cage (forgive the analogy, I just got my niece's hamster, and seeing the wheel in its cage kind of reflects how I feel at times). it's the same here in Montreal as everywhere else in Canada - I have to wait until September to get an emergency appointment so my poor GP can figure out what to do with me and my meds.

there has to be a better way to live than hanging on by a thread all the time, wondering if you'll fly or fall.

keep hanging onto those people that are keeping you afloat... it's what's stopped me from doing stupid things.

take care,

Anne.
      Anne.

Comment

Hello Bluebandaid. In regards to having a personality disorder or a mood disorder, often the two go together and it is quite common for people to have both.

As well many symptoms of mood disorder are similiar to a personality disorder , which should not matter, but does seem to at times.

While I know it is very difficult to do research while we are ill, during our good momments we should try to find out all we can about our illness and what sort of treatments are available for it.

I have found it is better to tell a doc that I would like to try abc med rather than wait for his recomendation. He may not agree, but at least he will probably give you a more detailed reason for giving you a certain med. Take Care . paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Paul - do you do most of your research on the Internet?

Comment

Hello Edmbigrl. If by internet do you mean official medical sites like www.camh.net (Center for addiction and mental health) or B.C. Health, yes I do. I also use a lot of othersites that I have come to trust, www.drugs.com , crazymeds.us etc. I seldom just dive into a new site, unless I get reffered there. Wikipedia is a good source of general information, but not always reliable, but sometimes their footnotes give good websites.

I read some books, which are as expected written to sell more books, but overall they are sometimes helpful.

I also attend some conferences and I find that is the best way to learn, but it's hard to find ones I can afford.

Posting here and on other sites is also a good way to learn, attending a support group in person is also helpfull.

I have many sites I use, but some other interesting ones I use would be, www.library.nhs.uk , www.web4health.info ,(interestly both are British.), www.mayoclinic.com, www.ndmda.org , (manic depressive/depressive assoc), www.bipolar-lives.com , .

The biggest problem is sorting through everything. I find it easiest to pick one part of my illness (say anxiety) and find out about possible treatments and then start to narrow down which treatment I want to try. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X