Music.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music.....

Has anyone ever used music to soothe the manic mind?.....it may only slow down for a few minutes however I've used it when I'm most scared.....(scared of being hospitalized) It worked last week when my stress was tested also during the latter part of a manic state...just thought I'd share........
    Be Well
    L.

I find music helpful, but I have to be careful what I select to listen to. If I'm manic, calm soothing music helps. If I'm depressed I need more upbeat music.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Very interesting topic Louise, thanks for bringing it up. Are there particular types of music or artists that you find more calming than others? (I'm thinking the Rolling Stones wouldn't be on the list somehow but I've been wrong before!)

Unlike you, I tend to need the more upbeat stuff because my big bugaboo is depression. I like a variety overall though. I inherited some of my music-loving mom's records and one of them has banjo-pickin' tunes, and by jiggers that gets me right cheered up y'all .
      Last edited by uni; November 25, 2010, 01:10 AM. Reason: distracted - too busy jiggin'
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Uni and AJ
        Interesting how music seems to fill the need. To slow down my mind I listen to Nakai (a Native American flutist)...some gentle classical....Yanni....it helps me to focus on the slow rythum or gentle sounds of the instruments. I can appreciate why you'd need an upbeat type of music it makes perfect sense to soothe the mind in any manner that helps. I find it empowering when I find something that helps to lessen the journey of it's rough patches.
        Be Well
        L.

Comment

Hi,

I've mentioned it elsewhere but Mozart seem to do wonders in soothing me. However, if I want to smile, I listen to some 80's music which reminds me of fun times. (Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys etc.)
          Wishing you well,
          Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Hi,
            During my last episode I listened to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFsOzJVlgsQ). This is a link to youtube where you can hear the song and read the lyrics.

I was having a mixed episode and the words to this song have inspiration for both depression and mania. The song pulled me through some very dark days.
            Take Care,
            Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
            "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

wow Karen... that song speaks so much!!
              Anne.

Comment

Makes me want to meet the person who wrote the song.

"....right beside you" Karen
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That was a great song. Thanks for sharing.
                  Wishing you well,
                  Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Thank you Karen.......I shared this song with all the people who helped me recently, a gift truly.....thank you
                    Be well....
                    L.

Comment

When I am normal I love beautifully sad music radiohead, mogwai, some coldplay, massive attack, tricky. Maybe I wouldn't crash so much if I listened to happier music. If I am deep in the pit Three Dog Night has been known to bring me back "Never Been to Spain" kept me above ground miraculously one time when I was 17 and my home (parents) were in thier own mental illness chaos around me. I remember desperately listening to song over and over in my room in the dead of winter trying to grasp some happy outlook that could sustain me to get through what would be a long isolated lonely night and winter. It worked at that time but that infamous "black dog" wasn't content to leave me alone and bided his time nipping at my heels regularly till now when our paths have once again met and I find myself in a "harry potteresque" battle, "neither can live while the other survives." It always feels like that kind of battle, and like Harry the only way I will win is by building bonds and nurturing love with those around me. Corny I know sorry for the rant.

Comment

Your rant is quite compelling Derek. So descriptive. I think that's a great tune to help bring some light to the day. Not corny in the least.

Comment

Working...
                        X