Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

venlafaxine XR.... as bad as the stories I am hearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

venlafaxine XR.... as bad as the stories I am hearing?

Hey folks, looking for some input here.
    I have never before been on any sort of anti depressants.
    I was perscribed effexor (venlafaxine XR) 37.5 for a week then moving up to 75's. he wrote me a 3 month supply of 75's.

Depression is nothing new to me and in fact I cant remember a time in my life when I wasnt. I also have anxiety that get worse as my depression does.

I have been trying to do research on the drug as a friend of mine who has had it said it was the worst possible med for the job due to withdrawal.

Should I be worried to take the meds that are supposed to be there to help me?
    when you think you have nothing, someone is praying for what you have.

I was on the same dosage for 5 yrs. The drug was effective but if I tried to increase the amount after I levelled off it made me have racing thoughts and I felt out of control. When I decided to get off of it since the depression seemed to return to me I have found it quite uncomfortable as in, depressed mood, dizzy, nausea, funny "zaps" and sizzling sounds in my head. This even after a gradual weaning of the drug after 2 to 3 months (recent). I asked to be put on Prozac in the interim to help with the transition since I needed to function better than I was. Basically I felt like sleeping most of the time and or anxious. I could not say that I would want to go on that particular drug again but I understand there are difficulties with a lot of them when changing the dosage. I didn't feel I was told the truth about the med when I was put on it as it was not described to me as difficult to get off of at that time. Some people have nightmares on it also. I had some wild dreams but was mostly ok with that feature. Can't really say in retrospect I would want to go on it again. Good luck with your process.

Comment

thanks Lizzy, I actually read some of your posts about it. If it works thats number 1 I guess. I read somewhere that it can result in a life long dependancy and well being a guy who has quit smoking about three dozen times... I worry.

Comment

Effexor can be a good drug for some. It is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). It worked great for me until I became manic and I had to stop taking it suddenly. I had no problems stopping it. I was fortunate. If it's possible it is better to be weaned off it slowly. I'm not sure that the reason for the withdrawl symptoms is completely understood. Part of it has to do with a short half life (how long it takes for 1/2 of the drug to be eliminated from the body), part of it has to do with the drug effects on norepinephine and serotonin receptors. Paxil (a serotonin reuptake inhibitor) is notorious for causing problems when discontinued and it's short half life is primarily to blame.

'Withdrawal' symptoms do not mean it is a physically addictive drug. In fact in the literature it is referred to as discontinuation syndrome.

The length of time a person takes an antidepressant varies greatly. There's no 'right' amount of time to be on one. For depression the minimum time recommended is 6 months to a year, but it all depends. Some are on antidepressants for years. Patient history and drug history are the primary determining factors. What is appropriate for one person, may not be for another.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello NeverKnow. I agree with what AJ and Lizzy's comments. I will add that if I have concerns about a drug, I am not above photocopying what the drug mfg has to say on the med and asking my doctor about it. You can find it at Health Canada's drug product data base . Enter Effexor and then look at the product monograph near the back(page 70 something)

Health Canada database containing product specific information on drugs approved for use in Canada

If a person has bipolar disorder, then effexor certainaly should not be used as a first round anti-depressant. In regards to the discountinuation syndrome, the single biggest problem is not that it happens to some, but that docs seem to be very slow to offer support to help someone wean off of effexor when they run into problems.(my opinion only)

Effexor is regarded as an antidepressant that really works for both depression and anxiety. A website known as crazy meds has some insight on the med, both pro and con. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            Effexor can be a good drug for some. It is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). It worked great for me until I became manic and I had to stop taking it suddenly.
            I agree with you AJ , it can be a great med for some people. It worked good for me...Too good though, after taking the med for a few months, I ended up in hospital with a manic episode.
            Take Care,
            Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
            "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

I appreciate the feedback everyone.
              Paul had already checked out crazy meds and I will look at the other.

Comment

Hi - I just found this while scrolling through the treatment forum. I'm currently taking Effexor XR in the same way you described, NeverKnow. I started low and then was increased to 75mg. Been taking that once a day (mornings) for about 3.5yrs now. It's worked really well for me but I'm suspecting it's starting to either cause problems or that I need to alter my dose or something. I've had a few 'downs' even when on the pill but find it still beneficial for general anxiety and my panic has disappeared. I have had a bit more anxiety and one panic episode recently which is why I'm suspecting something is up with my tolerance of the drug. I've heard of people 'leveling off' and needing to reevaluate their dose every now and then. I've also read horror stories about Effexor but haven't personally found anything bad with the drug...except for the few times I've forgotten to take it on time. If I'm even an hour later than usual taking the pill then I get spacey and can feel stomach sick. I always keep a back-up in my bag in case I go and then realize I haven't taken the pill. I don't ever want to stop because I imagine weaning off the drug would be horrible unless done so very slowly and carefully. It's a powerful drug so even though there are horror stories, there are also lots of good stories and many people credit Effexor for saving their lives.

Comment

Working...
                X