Going Non-Comp on Zopiclone, Any Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Non-Comp on Zopiclone, Any Tips?

I've been on 7.5mg of zopiclone since Nov 4, drug mfr drug monograph advises after 2 or 3 weeks reassessment should occur due to declining benfits and adictability of drug. Told my psych this today, he went into rant basically stating I had no business deciding what to take and should stay on zopiclone till Jan 13 when me meet again, he knows what is best, I am being paranoid and need to worry about other things. I disagree strongly enough and feel educated enough from drug monograph to be non compliant on this. I will take half (3.75mg) for 5 days then I will stop cold turkey. Any ideas or experience from anybody else on this type of drug withdrawal. Prepared relapse insomnia etc and some bad nights but feel to keep on this high dose till January with no reassessment is foolhardy and may set me up for a harder withdrawal.

You are ultimately the master of your own body.

I'm sorry but I have nothing further for you, but wish you all the best.
    Stormy

Comment

I can't see that a professional that was secure about their advice behaving that way. If he truly felt this way he should not need to be rude about it. Calming explaining how/why he felt that way should have prevailed. I do not know anything regarding this drug personally, but feel your position deserves respect given the fact that you are reading about it.

Comment

Thanks for responses. My opinion was not given respect. He response to my concern was also quite frankly mocked aggressively and condescendingly enough that other staff in the area stopped what they were doing and looked to see what was going on. All this in a public waiting room in front of other professionals and patients. Quite frankly I will be asking for a referral to the next closest professional which unfortunately is an hour and a half away for future appts. If he had an opinion he could have taken me somewhere private and made his professional case. I am not just pulling this info out of a hat these timelines and advisories that I brought to his attention in concern for my own well being are explicitly stated on the drug manufacturer's monograph and he could not even acknowledge these or have an intelligent discussion, but was only concerned that I had the audacity to question his advice from a brief meeting a month ago. One of only 2 in the last year. I don't want to just blindly be taking all sorts of conflicting meds based on the advice of an the advice of someone I only see for 20 minutes every 4 months. I will stay compliant on all his other recommendations because they make sense and after researching them they are ultimately to my benefit. Sorry for the rant but I am just thunderstruck to be treated this way by a "professional" it felt as though I was being publicly ridiculed as some sort of unstable emotional invalid incapable of making their own informed decisions. I am tempted to make some sort of formal complaint but I can't see it going anywhere or anyone taking me seriously, how credible is the crazy and now non compliant mental health patient complaining about his psych. Oh well got to move on can't let this get me down.

Comment

Well said Derek. You're right don't let this arrogant idividual get you down.

Comment

Hi Derek,
            I wouldn't consider you non-compliant, you are on meds if I recall correctly. Its great to have a doctor that will really listen to you, this is often not the case, due to short supply of pdocs and lets face it some of them are'nt the greatest at what they do. It seems to me that you are working on your recovery and simply have a legitimate issue with a med. You do have a voice, don't ever lose that. We really do go on blind faith wiht this illness. I remember just blindly swallowing what ever they gave me when I was hospitalized. Needless to say I remember very little of my stay.

The fact that he did this to you in the waiting room is inexcusable - does he not rate high enough to get an office?

My pdoc wanted me to go to a day program that was all day for 5 days a week for four weeks. I tried to go twice, the first time I lasted a day the second time I lasted a week - it simply was not for me. I was angered when I was asked "well do you want to get better?" I thought that to be a bit unfair as there are many methods available to recover and not everything will work the same from one person to another. I felt like I was loosing control of my treatment and didn't have a voice.

When I saw may pdoc this time he asked about the program again and I simply said "no" it's not the right fit for me. He left it alone.
            Stormy

Comment

Hi Derek,

That sounds very frustrating. I think a huge piece of getting well is working as a team with the professional. It doesn't sound like that was even close to what happened. Hopefully, the referral to the new pdoc will happen quickly. Anything happening in that regard?

I strongly believe that we should be aware of the medication that goes in our bodies. You took the initiative and found out which is a positive., The fact he wouldn't listen shows an element of his character that doesn't sound in your best interest. That being said, I think it might be important to at least have a conversation with your GP or if possible, a call to a hospital pdoc or the nearest one. At least with your GP, there is an informed connection to the profession should you need help.

It's unfair that this gets dropped on you while your trying to get well.
              Wishing you well,
              Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Thank you all for your input, a month or two ago before I found this board an incident like this would fester in my psyche and I would feel alone, victimized, voiceless and I would probably be riding a pretty deep mood swing down right now. When you are "lower class" in a small town in northern Manitoba your world can seem small and indifferent, mental illness in this environment is something you either medicate with drugs and alcohol or that you slowly rationalize into suicide. This outlet has broadened my worldview towards what can be accomplished while living with mental illness. I really appreciate each and every one of you on this site whether you've commented on my topic today or not. Knowing I am not alone and that I can interact with and be touched by such seasoned caring people makes all the difference. Love you guys cheers.

Comment

Derek they do make a zopiclone 5mg tablet. Your GP might write you a prescription for it. That way you could wean down to 2.5 mg (halved) before coming off them. Do you have a pill splitter? The 5mg tablets aren't scored, but they can be cut.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Derek. First a bit of advice from someone who has ticked off several docs and paid the price. I know just how hard it is to get a decent shrink. I also know just how badly an out of date doc can screw up my life. Unfortunately we sometimes have to walk a very delicate tightrope in order to get the care we need. Definitely unfair, but a fact for many of us.

I now try to avoid as much confrontation as possible. I certainly not advising you to take treatment that you feel is bad for you, but sometimes I find that it is better to present the doc with alternatives, prior to disagreeing with him. (sorry this probably sounds like I am preaching, but I am not. In person you would see that I am truly sympathic to your position) I know just how tough it is to go to a doc and say, instead of abc, perhaps we could try bcd for this reason and this reason.

So as much as your current shrink sounds like a pain in the butt, try and not tick him off too much. Plus shrinks and docs have this nasty habit of making notes that refer to a patient being difficult to deal with. Here in Ontario such a note in your file could mean an extra long wait to see any shrink or even a regular doc. By all means, look try and get another referral. In the meantime, you might try contacting your local hospital and see if they have any out patient programs available. Sometimes as well they do have temp shrinks available through out patients(although they are becoming more permanent).

In regards to your current problems. You have not been taking Zoplicone all that long, so reduction shouldn't be a big problem. Another mth or so might be different, but right now you should be able to taper off especially if you do it gradually and use a pill spliter like AJ has suggested. Take Care. paul m
                    "Alone we can do so little;
                    Together we can do so much"
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Hey Paul thx for the feedback the plan after sleeping on it now is to stick with my local Psych (or is it PDOC as you guys all say). I am sure when we can find a way to get along and I will try to be more diplomatic and offer alternatives when I disagree with his opinion. Like your wife I want to keep Zopiclone around as a PRN to be taken like your wife for maybe 5 days at a time if my sleep gets out of whack to catch up. The first night on half (3.75 mg) was of course uneventful, I am sure the clonazepam will take the edge off any future anxiety, I am also enrolled in a CBT course that I started last week that I think will go a long way and my comm. mntl. hlth wkr has been helping me immensely with the underlying issues that cause me these problems. The goal long term remains to be working and living a life with normal buffered ups and downs on a minimum of meds (the 40mg of citalopram or something similar should be enough).

Comment

Hello Derek. I've been reading this thread today for the first time. Like you, I find this forum immensely helpful in reducing the feelings of frustration. Being able to anonymously share about things like pdocs can be a relief.

As for your current pdoc/med situation, I'll echo what Stormy said earlier; it's your body and ultimately your choice what you put into it.

Living in a community with few choices of doctors, sometimes we have to go with the lesser of the evils. However, if the pdoc continues the unprofessional behavior I'm glad to know that you could drive elsewhere if necessary. I've come close to doing the same, ie. driving an hour and a half. What changed my mind is being able to get referred to a different pdoc (by the one I disagreed with, no less - go figure).

I guess what I'm saying is that we always have options, even if they're not perfect, which allows me to breathe a little easier just knowing it. My fingers are crossed that you can build a decent relationship with your pdoc. And it sounds like the mental health worker and the CBT course have potential for positive impact. I personally have found CBT amazing, even though I've learned most of it from books.
                        Last edited by uni; December 7, 2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: kept thinking of more to add
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

hi Derek,
                          I've not responded to this thread because I have no experience (oh my, it took me a loooong time to remember that word!! :s) with zopiclone... but I just wanted to wish you all the best with the reduction of your med, and I hope that you can get along with your pdoc eventually!
                          Anne.

Comment

Hi Derek. Sorry I have not replied sooner but I don't get on much. However, I am a past and present user of zoplicone. I was on it steady for a full year at 10mg. I can only offer my experience at weaning off but I hope it helps in some way. At first when I weaned off, I quit cold turkery (as per pdocs instructions). I am not sure if he knew how long I was on it for (my gp was the one who prescribed it) because in hind site, I am sure he would not have recommended this. I remember the first night off, I slept 3 hours. The following morning, I was definately hypo-manic. Talking fast, planning an over full day and moving erratically. My children were quite amused by my behaviour. Anyway, by afternoon, I literally crashed. Not emotionally but physically. It took about a week to get things right. I did not go back on it after the first night because I thought I would just ride out the storm. I would never recommend to anyone to go cold turkey.

Time passed and due to certain circumstances, I went back on zoplicone. This time, I went from 5mg to 10mg depending on how much I needed. This time, I would take it one night at a time or up to a week. This time ... I had no side effects when ever I stopped it.

So, from what you have written, I would think that you will be fine since you are weaning off slowly. I hated the sleeping med "hang-over" effect that lasted til noon. I was already dragging my butt cause I was sick and adding the sleeping pill made it worse.

I do hope everything works out for you.
                            To all my friends on the forum .... hello, it was nice to read your posts.

Tracey

Comment

Hey Tracey, great to hear from you ! Thanks for sharing your zoplicone experience.
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X