RE: Effexor XR and Wellbutrin

I've been on Effexor XR (225 mg) going on five years,
    and have recently been prescribed (150 mg) Wellbutrin
    I'm wondering if the Wellbutrin will help my anxiety
    disorder if i choose to taper off the effexor. I smoke
    pot moderately and that is why i'm trying to get off effexor
    due to the dangerousness of combining the two,
    (Seritonin Syndrome, Arrythmia, Techardia?) and also,
    what can i expect from combining wellbutrin with effexor?

Hello Jonesy and welcome. Wellbutrin works for some people with some types of anxiety disorder, but it doesn't do anything for mine. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums Jonesy. I've been on Effexor. It worked well for my anxiety. I haven't been on Wellbutrin.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Jonesy,
        I'm on wellbutrin as well, have been since June - I'm not sure about how it has worked for my anxiety. The anxiety has definately lessened but I'm not sure why. Maybe my other meds, maybe counselling, maybe time, maybe not working, maybe all of the above.
        I wish you luck on it though. Let us know what you think of it how your doing.

here is a little factoid for you....wellbutrin is also sold as zyban, which is prescribed to people who want to quit smoking. A side effect might be quitting the pot. I say that in a joking manner. I'm not judging you....promise!!!
        Stormy

Comment

Hi Jonesy and welcome to the forum

I have bipolar disorder and effexor caused me to go manic and I ended up in the hospital; sorry I couldn't offer any advice on the anxiety issue.
          Take Care,
          Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
          "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Welcome Jonesy! All I can advise is that if you taper off the Effexor it's a good idea for your doctor to keep an eye on you for possible withdrawal effects. Sometimes they are rather nasty, but not for everybody. Sorry but I know nothing helpful about the Wellbutrin. I wish you well.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Jonesy-I have been on both Effexor & Wellbutrin at the same time & have never had a problem.I am still on Wellbutrin (for about 5 yrs ) but stopped the Effexor so I could try Cymbalta.The Cymbalta works also for chronic pain & still has similar results as the Effexor so they switched them.I never realized there was a danger in smoking pot with Effexor.I was still smoking moderatly while on Effexor & always felt sick when I did so I quit the pot.Haven't tried it since i've been off the Effexor.I don't think my doc has me on Wellbutrin for anxiety though,it is marked as an Antidepressant on my meds,am on Chlordiazepoxide for anxiety but have been for about 7 yrs & they think it is no longer working so are in the process of changing that to Clonazepam but am still on both,they say new one must be in effect before removing the old med. Hope the Wellbutrin & Effexor work as good for you as they did me.You said about weening off the Effexor,you would be best to consult your Doctor before you do,I got really bad withdrawl when I did on my own.Hope that helps.
              Aurora

Comment

Welcome to the forums Crystal.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Jonesy,

I am on Wellbutrin for my depression and it has worked quite well. I am feeling a lot better since going on it. I don't know if it has helped with anxiety but now that I think of it, it may have had that effect too!

good luck with it and welcome to the forum,
                  astronaut

Comment

Hi! Welcome! I have been taking Effexor since about 2003 for depression. Once I was diagnosed with bipolar type II in 2007, my psychiatrist added an atypical mood stabilzer. As for anxiety, I didn't suffer with that much, but my husband was having full blown anxiety attacks following a traumatic event. He was prescribed Effexor for his anxiety. Effexor works on two neurotransmitters, serotonin and norepinephrin. I did a quick web search and read that Wellbutrin works on dopamine as well as on norepinephrin, which is linked to anxiety. It may do the trick. I echo a lot of the previous posts and say, do make sure you consult with your doctor before stopping any medication. The combination of the two may be a really good solution. Let the Wellbutrin get really well established before you consider decreasing the Effexor. Your organic treatment (pot) may interact negatively with your medical treatment. Since I am not a smoker, I don't know the symptoms that it might alleviate. I know some people find it helps them sleep. How does it benefit you?

Comment

Working...
                    X