"What BETTER Feels Like" project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What BETTER Feels Like" project

I wasn't asked, presumably because I have bipolar rather than straight depression, but here are my answers to the questions posted anyway:

1. Can you recall the first sign (s) you noticed that made you think that your depression might be lifting? Can you describe those signs?

Some time after a six-year-long series of increasingly devastating events, I determined that I would either have to die, or turn my life around dramatically. Finding a sense of purpose and finding the self-discipline to pursue it was my main sign of the beginning of recovery. I also learned to accept that my recovery was entirely my own responsibility

2. How did you know you weren't getting better and what did you do?

I knew I was not getting better because I was never satisfied at work, and in fact it became unbearable. I tried getting aptitude testing toward finding a new career, I enrolled in a language course to improve my credentials, and I consulted doctors several times, to no avail.

3. What do you think was the trigger (s) that allowed you to turn the corner?

There was no single trigger. It was a gradual accumulation of tragic experiences, culminating in the breakdown of my marriage.

4. What do you see as the "ingredients" that led to your getting better? What was helpful?

Hospital stays, retirement on disability (thereby reducing stress), medications (changed or tweaked many times over the ensuing 15 years), participation in a number of support groups, finally getting a good psychiatrist, and behavioural therapy (CBT and DBT.)

5. If not covered in the question above, can you tell me specifically how you worked with your professional caregivers? What was not helpful?

I was as open and honest as possible with all caregivers. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
    Not helpful: psychotherapist who was more concerned with her own (mis)understanding of our relationship than my own perceptions and feelings when I was suicidal; psychiatrists and medical care plans that did not recognise the essential importance of non-drug therapy, coupled with the lack of access to such therapy; intolerance from family members; loss of income; lack of coverage by private medical plan for some expenses related to mental illness and other conditions; incredible bureaucracy to get ANYthing done to treat illness or related problems.

6. Define what better feels like - for you.

Emotional stability, mood swings that are inconvenient rather than debilitating; capacity to participate in productive activities that make life worthwhile; ability to deal with others with less aggression, and fewer complete capitulations; having more fun; enjoying social situations more; making judgements that are much more sound; much improved ability to drive a vehicle!

7. Tell me what you do to maintain your wellness?

I have committed to habit the principles I learned in my Cognitive training and Dialectical Behaviour training; I have my family constantly monitor my behaviour for signs of relapse; I constantly review my reactions to medications; I try to see the world with a more positive and optimistic outlook; I work to avoid entering into confrontations with anyone; I talk openly about my condition with anyone who is interested.

I know you've been a member for quite some time, but I do want to welcome you to the forum since this is your first time posting.

Thank you for sharing the questions and answers with us.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome, luaprelkniw. I find your post very interesting, and am wondering where the questions came from. Maybe I've overlooked something....
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
      X