cognition and memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cognition and memory

does anyone know if seroquel (quetiapine) and/or lamotrigine (lamictal) can cause poor memory and/or slow mental processes like difficulty organizing thoughts or planning how to do tasks
    dave

I have found Seroquel at higher doses to make me feel 'stoned' and to a less extent Lamictal. I have a poor short term memory that is made worse by mood stabilizers and antipsychotics.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

yes but it (the feeling of loss of cognition and memory) goes away after a few years. and it also depends how much you are taking. The point of serquel IS to slow down your mental processes because they are too fast.
      Last edited by lyxia; November 9, 2014, 07:32 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Hello Dave. Seroquel has that effect on me. I found that it didn't go completely away, but after my brain had healed some then I could reduce the dosage and that made a big difference.

Seroquel is also an odd drug in the fact the theraputic range is huge and varies greatly person to person. For one person 200mg a day may be plenty and for another 600mg may not be enough. However docs tend to set a dosage and leave you there.

I also prefer the immediate release rather than the extended release version. The immediate release allows me to take smaller doses during the day and a larger one in the evening. I can't say that would work for everyone, but it did for me. Also with the immediate release pills you can split them so that you can adjust your dosage easier. Take Care. paul m P.S. Lamictal had no affect on me what so ever(good or bad) so I can't comment on it.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Everyone. I am currently on 850mg of Seroquel, plus 500mg of deprival,4 mg of Ativan and 150 of Zoloft plus Effexor 75, and also 1200 mg of lithium. I am 47 and have been fighting this horrible disease for over 15 years. I think I have tried every way to commit suicide and I am still here. I lost all friends my career. And yet I still fight so anyone out there that's thinks they cannot go on, always realize, it will get better, and there is always someone worse than you. I also found yoga a huge help I met a lot of kind down to earth people.
          Thanks for reading my rant lol.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Wharf Rat
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

welcome wharf rat... yeah its a bloody damn illness... ranting is the best way sometimes. Yoga helps I hear, I keep trying to get up and go down to the park and just stretch but then my mood switches and i dont go...

Dont say there is always someone worse than you, your illness bad and you have the right to complain about them. You have your problems and they are not minor. And society is not very welcoming once you show the face of illness (they are still ok with the words and theories).... im not 47 but im sick of the slaps in the face. I meant to start this post with encouragement.. sorry

Comment

Trust me you get used to the slaps in the face. After awhile you don't feel anything at all. Sometimes that can save your life. You stop caring about going to the movies by yourself, I even went on a cruise by myself. The worst part is I have been living with my folks my father is physically and mentally abusive. And yes my Pdoc knows about it. It was 2 months ago I was on Facebook. I had started posting my art opinions etc. It lasted 3 days my mom had dozens of complains from the good ladies from the church(gag) even my cousin who blasted the shit out of me(she is a teacher) has forbid me to see my little cousins. So I shut my site down went back to my room and watch tv like I am supposed to do. Years ago I would have felt the slaps but not anymore Hang in there kiddo.
                Wayde

Comment

Welcome to the forum Wharf Rat.
                  We are all sufferers here and understand what you are going through. You won't find judgement here, just a great group of people offering words of support and encouragement. Anytime you want to vent, just vent away.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Wharf Rat!
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I found the same effect with divalproex. My pdoc kept insisting it was the depression. After 9 months of complaning he increased the divalproex and the problems have lessened somewhat but by no means are they gone. I couldn't plan a list of errands. I could only do one at a time and couldn't focus on the next until it was done. Problem solving and memory were non-existent. I am on divalproex and abilify.

Comment

so i saw the pdoc today. i began what i assumed would be a futile effort to try explaining my difficulties. dude shocked me. i began rambling, it seemed to me, about the issues i was having, that i was certain were evidence of my flawed mind and body, and general inability to function like regular people, that likely only i was experiencing...during the conversation he is looking at me, a nod or a word he offered here and there, it almost seemed like maybe i was making sence and he understood what i was saying. to my great suprise i think both points are true. it seems that these cognitive deficits do happen to other people and are likely med related. when i first read Lyxia reply i didn't understand what it meant but pdoc n i had a long chat and now i get it, i thought the confusion and difficulty making decisions were side effects but i think the seroquel is supposed to slow your mind down. that wasn't an issue until i started wanting to live again, having goals, making plans, etc

so we are reducing the dosages, slowly, gradually...first the seroquel, then the lamotrigin, pdoc says that there is reason to be hopeful. thats good stuff, cause its nice when you walk into another room if u remember where u r going and why. its nice when someone asks you a question if you remember what they said long enough to form a relavent reply and if you dont forget what you are saying as you say the words. also i like it when i can tell a story and remember what things are called as i refer to them...like instead of pointing at the magic box in the corner that shows the pictures. some times i just call it "the tv" and don't even have to gesture in its direction or wonder if i called the tv "the tv" and that was the correct word for the thing that the loud noises and bright lights come from

also he says i likely dont have early onset dementia...more good news....no where but up from here
                        dave

Comment

if anyone knows good info on books or websites or other resources that talk about how to improve working memory please post here...thanks
                          dave

Comment

if you are not taking seroquel to slow down your mind, then its likely that your feeling of loss of memory is linked to having been given too much at first. They (Drs) are supposed to gradually increase the dosage and start with very little.

It is used for sleep too, but at very very little dosage.

how much were you on by the way? because if you got a large dose, the symptoms you experience could be linked to your medication. Its good that you are lowering.

But maybe give a chance to having less seroquel is your brain before thinking there is anything wrong with your memory. Be sure its not the seroquel making you not remember.

-lyxia

Comment

been takin for years. was takin 900mg once. been on 350mg for long time now, i think, i would like it no more. long as i can sleep n don't get to anxious. pdoc say we can lower lamotrigin too after. but seroquel first to see how that goes. oh yeah as long as the psychosis doesn't come back either...or the depression. rn said seroquel is often used for med resistant bipolar depression. yeah. don't want any of these. just want to be able to think again. That's a long list. am shocked that i still here. but happy to be here. life is worth living now...finally. good health 2 all.
                              Last edited by dave; November 15, 2014, 04:02 PM.
                              dave

Comment

Working...
                              X