Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epival... anyone have any information/experiences with this drug treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epival... anyone have any information/experiences with this drug treatment?

So no Lithium treatment for me as my blood work was not good enough... Epival it is, starting it tomorrow... just starting to look it up... does anyone have any information/experiences they can share on this drug treatment? I've never heard of it before, so here starts a whole new session of education... No more Seroquel officially, and since i've been off it, i've been regressing back to some bad episodes....i'll do some homework on the new drug, but any input would be nice, thanks!

Hi jgcr,

I know nothing about Epival, but I ask about it to my brother who's a family doctor he told me that it's a good medication for the treatment of bipolar disorder and sent me this link where you will have some information about this medication. http://www.canmat.org/cme-bipolar-treating.php. If you are being followed closely by your doctor who prescribe you this medication, you will be fine. Unfortunately like any other medication Epival might or might not cause you some side effect.

I wish you the best of luck and take care jgcr

Comment

This is a good place to start http://www.drugs.com/search.php?sear...alproex+sodium

I was on Epival for awhile. I gained a lot of wait. It made me very tired. It really didn't help and my Pdoc changed me to Lamictal. We are all unique so you may have a different experience with it.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello JGCR. Epival works very well for some people, but it has a long list pf possible side effects and you have to watch out for very serious side effects. I'm not trying to scare you, it's a good medication if it works well for you, but for some people the side effects are dangerous.

Epival and my system don't get along. I've tried it several times and had to quit each time due to severe side effects. It worked well for me in controling my bipolar, but it was like a poison for my system.

If you are going to take it, you should be aware of all of the potential side effects, because some of them are serious. To find out more you can read the drug monograph at Health Canada by going to http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp.../index-eng.php , then click on access drug product data base( it's part way down on the right) and on the next screen entering epival under the product name. On the page that is brought up click on the DIN number and then another page will come up and you can read the drug monograph, all 58 pages, there are some that you can skip, but really pay attention around pages 21-28 and 55-58, which is hidden at the very end and innocently labeled as Consumer Information.

In addition to the other websites that people have mentioned, you can also try crazy meds http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Depakote where it goes by the name of Depakote (divalproex sodium). It's also known as valproic acid in Canada.
        I hope it works well for you. The people that I know who can tolerate it, think it's a wonder drug. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
        Last edited by paul m; February 28, 2015, 01:39 AM.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hello, I am new here. I have been on Epival for several years and I can probably answer most of the questions you have from a personal perspective.

Comment

I'm actually going to see my Pdoc March 31 and see about it because so far it has been making me feel much worse than when i was on Seroquel... maybe a mix of something else, or another type, but this one is definitely making me more unstable.

Comment

Working...
            X