Lithium and TSH levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium and TSH levels

My doctor thinks the lithium is affecting how my thyroid is working. My TSH levels are higher than normal. Does anyone know what this means? Should I stop taking lithium? He just said we would keep an eye on things but I am not well and I lost almost 20 pounds in 1 month. I am losing my hair, my moods are all over the place, I can't sleep, I have terrible hot flashes that make me feel like passing out. I think I should seek a 2nd opinion maybe?
    Bibiane

Is this your family doctor or a psychiatrist saying just to keep an eye on it? TSH stands for thyroid stimulating hormone. When the body isn't producing enough thyroid hormone, blood levels of TSH go up. It's our bodies way of telling our thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormone. A person who has high TSH levels can have less energy, have a depressed mood, weight gain, cold intolerance and a whole host of other symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20021179
    Did the doctor tell you how much higher than normal they are? A further discussion with your doctor or a second opinion to address your concerns may be needed. Did your doctor tell you how often your levels should be tested? Or at what level further action is needed?

I would not stop taking Lithium. Talk to your doctor, or if you have one, your psychiatrist about what the next step is.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Yes well. Both doctors are saying I should not worry. My psychiatrist has lowered my lithium and I must say that I haven't been doing so well since then. Mood wise I am very pepressed. Is it the thyroïd or the loer lithium dose? Not sure but I am very worried.
      Bibiane

Comment

Hi bibiane, those sound like pretty unpleasant side effects. I hope your Dr offers you a better solution... one that actually helps with your depression...

Comment

Working...
        X