Growing old with bipolar disordee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing old with bipolar disordee

Growing is already challenging for most but growing old with bipolar disorder? Is that even an option? I am 55 (I know... not that old yet) and I just wondering how I will be perceived as an old lady with bipolar disorder. When they put me in a nursing home, will they make me take pills I won't need or want just to keep me calm or quiet? Will they think I am crazy? Many already seem to think so. This thought really scares me because I know how doctors already push pills in these homes. I don't want to end up that way. Anyone else thinking about that or am I the only one?
    Bibiane

Hello Bibiane. Sounds like you are having a real rough time. I can sympathize with that and I hope that you find some way to feel better.

Is growing old while having bipolar option. I hope so, as I'm getting older and I want to make up for a lot of lost yrs.

In regards to "will they make me take pills I won't need or want just to keep me calm or quiet? " I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. If you mean: can you disturb the rights of others and not have medications forced upon you?" The answer to that would seem to be self explanatory.

If you mean will let you you act differently,sure they will. I've many into many nursing homes and I've seen a lot of people in there that had major mental problems either from psychiatric problems or illnesses like Alzheimers.

It's a fairly complicated ordeal for a nursing home to try and force a patient who refuses to take medications and most nursing homes try to avoid the expense and trouble of doing that. If the patient takes the medication voluntarily some of the doctors are probably guilty of over prescribing. (the key words there are " a patient who refuses to take", that is much different that a patient who is reluctant or would prefer not to take medication)

However if someone becomes a major pain in the butt , they can and will send that person to a secure psychiatric facility where the staff is much more accustomed to finding ways to persuade the person to take the medication and/or are much more at ease using the complex rules regarding forcing a person to take medication.

If it helps at all , it is reasonable rare in Canada for a person to have medication forced upon them . In order to do that there are a complex set of rules and there are very few medications that are easily forced upon a patient. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi bibaine,

I don't find it that unusual to think of what may become of us as we age and I too share a dread of becoming one of those overmedicated zombies rotting away in a nursing home. Should we be worrying about that at age 55? Perhaps, depending on individual circumstance, but it would be a waste to lose your remaining years to this fear.

Paul always has good advice and I agree with his analysys, particularly his observation about disturbing the rights of others. I have just passed through the stage of life where you bury your parents. The last to go was my mother in law. We always had an amicable relationship, however in her last years she did become quite disruptive and it did threaten her ability to function independantly. This was possibly related to a stroke and at the end, she did lash out physically at most family members. She was already in pallative care at this time and we were fortunate enough to have her lucid and capable of participating in the decision early enough before she lost control of her faculties. She was in her mid eighties when all this happened. A long life, well lived.

Is the fear that bipolar illness will force institutionalization early on? A valid concern, but do not let others force this on you for their own conveniance. Still, you must remain observant and consider your own condition and abilities. A difficult task to be sure and an uncomfortable conversation to have with your loved ones. Perhaps making those decisions now and recording them in a living will may help?

Comment

Working...
      X