Lithium Side Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium Side Effects

I have been taking Lithium (650mg a day) for well over 7 years. In the past year I started to notice some things happening but never suspected Lithium for a second.

I had frequent urination as the main issue, doctors sent me for urine tests (negative) blood tests (negative) ultrasound (negative), MRI (negative), for awhile I even suspected my SSRI... but no. It's really weird how long it had taken but I feel like my body simply no longer likes having Lithium in it, it's an irritant.

I was on SSRI's in the past that had mild side effects or stopped working altogether but nothing like this. Anyone experienced side effects like this, I really can't continue taking it, it messes with quality of life. I had urologist telling me cut out caffeine and it's just anxiety... Yeah right.

Anyone elses have problems like this with Lithium?

Welcome to the forum Tron.

Lithium can affect the function of the kidneys. Did your doctor do kidney function tests? it can result in increased urination as one of the symptoms. Also an increase in thirst. It is important not to get dehydrated in order to avoid the levels of lithium in the blood from going too high.

They also would have checked your blood glucose (sugar level) for the possibility of diabetes.

It sounds like they did a lot of testing, be persistent and go back to the doctor until they figure this out.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Tron and welcome to the forum. As AJ has said, sometimes you just have to be persistent with your doctor.

Can lithium cause kidney problems? Yes but it tends to be progressive and over time. Anyone who takes lithium regularily should be tested every 3 mths for lithium levels as well as TSH and creatinine levels and that usually gives early indications of Kidney problems.

I've taken lithium for decades and know that I probably will have to stop or vastly reduce in the next 10 yrs. However seeing how nothing else seemed to work for me, not taking lithium wasn't an option.

An interesting article can be found at. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516429/

Does taking lithium irritate me in general, no more than some other meds. Not taking lithium(or the alternatives to it) would see me homeless and living under a bridge and at my age that would be especially irritating LOL) . Good Luck finding the cause of your problems and Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
      X