Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do on a daily basis to try and stay balanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do on a daily basis to try and stay balanced?

Hi everyone,
    I shared a bit about myself in another post.
    I was wondering what you guys do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to keep your life balanced?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Type I in 2013 at age 25. I had a manic episode with psychotic features likely triggered by taking Effexor for a "MDE". I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. Since then I have had ups and downs for sure despite being treated (but not followed adequately until recently-I've moved a few times for career). I've been off work/studies twice for depressive episodes and now currently off cause I had a mixed episode which plummeted to depression.

I see my psychiatrist regularly and he is still making changes to my medication.

I see a psychologist regularly too but I am not finding sessions very useful and I've gone over my psychologist coverage on my health plan already this year.

No one has ever really sat me down and told me practical things about bipolar disorder and how to manage my life to have a better handle on the bipolar disorder. Maybe they told me some when I was hospitalized in 2013 but I litterally cannot remember that hospitalization.

So...what do you guys find helps? And how do you motivate yourself to do them?

I know that regular exercise and eating well would help. I know that sleep hygiene is important. I know that I need to take my medications. Regular counselling would be useful too. Has anyone ever tried phone or online counsellors?

Do you find journaling helpful? Mood tracking? Sleep tracking?

I stopped drinking alcohol in Sept. 2016 and plan to never drink again. I never did drugs.

I know that having a good support system is inmportant. This has been difficult for me. I have been staying with my mother and her boyfriend(so his house) for the last 3 months since I live in another province and my doctor thought I should be closer to my support system. However, I am going back to my apartment next week because I feel unwanted here at my parents' and they think that I am "taking advantage of them" and just being lazy. I rarely hear from my friends and even get no replies to texts or messages often. I am single since October 2016.

I have overspending issues when I become manic or hypomanic. I have a huge debt load in part due to school but I imagine being bipolar doesn't help. I tried to get someone I trust (an aunt) this fall to monitor my bank accounts/spending regularly but she always forgot to do so and never did it. I can't really think of anyone else to monitor it. I have put some notifications to myself through the bank and that seems okay.

Anyways,

Thanks in advance for any advice or resources.
    Last edited by unknownwonder; April 1, 2017, 06:39 AM.

Wow unknownwonder! As far as I can see you are doing all the right things. I can only think of a few things to add - have you tried support groups? - have you tried getting involved in a new interest (for me it's painting and yoga) to get you out in the world interacting with people and maybe making a new friend or two? - have you tried meditation or hypnosis? (there are plenty of apps that you can download for free on your phone). I agree that regular therapy sessions can be of great help but not with a therapist you don't feel is helping much. It's too bad you've run out of insurance money but it might be a very worthwhile investment to try and find someone you "click" with. Also, keep working with your psychiatrist to try and tweak your medication (it has taken many of us years to find the right combination). Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. I have a feeling we can learn lots from you...

Best wishes,

Neli

Comment

I agree with Neli. It sounds like you are doing a lot to help yourself already. The thought I might add is to consider volunteer work. It's not for everyone, but it can lead to friendships, not to mention feeling good about helping others out.

I've found journaling very helpful at times, mood tracking not so much.

Good for you for not drinking since October.

Is there anyone else you can enlist to help you monitor your finances? Being in debt is such a difficult burden to carry.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Unknown wonder
        i hear you and I agree with both neli & A J
        im bipolar too so I know how frustrating life can be ..
        i have a lot of things to say but need to think first ..
        all I can say now is :
        try to think of something you like .. an activity you can enjoy .. a hobby you love ..
        preferably something free & something you can do it with other people who share the same interests ..

Comment

They do have trustees at The Salvation Army that can help you monitor your spending. They pay your bills and give you an allowance great program.

Comment

Working...
          X