Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we know how many bipolars are happy?

Hello everyone, l
    I'm new to this forum. Although I was diagnosed with biboplar for more than 10 years -- and anxiety too. I wonder if someone know how many bipolars are happy. As I said, I live with it for some time now, and I have not achieve a state of happiness. The side effect of the illness or drugs, remains quite important: fatigue, diculty to concentrate... And I wonder what can we hope with this illness. Maybe just most of bipolars end up living with many annoying symptomas of the illness or the meds....
    Thanks!

Hello Paix and welcome. How many people with bipolars are happy. I don't know. I don't think that any of us are happy having any kind of major illness or having to take any kind of medication. However many of us are happy overall. I probably know several hundred people with a serious mental illness and maybe one half are happy most of the time and another 25% are happy some of the time. Those are just guesses on my part and based on the people that I know, I have no scientific evidence to back that up.

I have found that to be happy and have bipolar is more than just taking medications. I had to learn a lot about my illness, I had to make great life style changes and even dietary changes. Probably the hardest part was having to change my goals in life. At one time realizing that I would never achieve my goals kept me upset for a long time. But once I accepted that I would never reach those goals and set new goals I'm happier than if I had reached my old goals.

In regards to lack of concentration, fatigue and other side effects, those are all problems. But by learning about my illnesses, diet, life style, exercise and medications, I've been able to cut down the amount of medications I take greatly(with my doctors permission) . So by not taking as many meds I don't have as many side effects. I certainly didn't like all of changes that I had to make, but I liked cutting back on my meds.

These days when I do have a serious episode, careful examination shows that I didn't follow what works for me.

Please feel free to ask questions, answer other peoples questions, make comments and/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Paix and welcome to the forums. I have never read any statistics on how many bipolars are happy either. Like Paul, I had to make some very significant life style changes. I also had to change the course of my journey in life to be a happier person.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you Paul et AJ,
        I'm just happy to learn that happiness is more common than I think it was among bipolar. I will wait to see if there is a study that was made on that subject.
        thanks again! I really appreciate your answers.

Comment

Hi everybody ..
          happiness ..
          i like the question .. I like the answers too ..

Comment

Being happy is not always easy ..
            sometimes you find yourself in a position where you're left to choose between two options :
            first option is .. to know the truth .. and then to admit it that there's a big problem ..
            second option .. to live in denial and be happy ..
            it might not apply to everybody .. but I think it applies on me ..
            the only thing I can do here is to try to be happy ,. Learn to be happy & accept the truth as it is without being depressed & anxious about it .. I'm trying ..

Comment

Hi there
              I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar... even though I was pretty sure I had this illness for a very long time, I never wanted to admit it. I always thought about the stigma of "bipolar = crazy". even now, i have a hard time telling people. Only the very few close people around me know, like my parents, my sister, my husband, a close girlfriend, etc.
              In terms of being "happy" with bipolar... I feel like that depends on the severity of the illness. Also, what someone had mentioned previously, there needs to be a few changes in your lifestyle to go along with the medications. I know that I've changed the way I eat, and I started exercisizing more. I have also started making "me time" mandatory, at least once or twice a week.
              It just depends on the support you have around you and the things you're willing to try/change. I don't think I've ever truly been "happy" for a long period of time in my 30 years on this earth. There were few and far between happy moments, or events that made me happy, but being truly happy 100% of the time has never been a thing for me.
              I've just gotten used to that I suppose.
              Hope this helps...

Comment

Welcome to the forum ashfay22.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                  Welcome to the forum ashfay22.
                  thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X