Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone ever really "heal" from Bipolar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone ever really "heal" from Bipolar?

Hello, first-time poster here. I have struggled with deep, multi-layered depression for as far back as I can remember. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar II after trying antidepressants and swinging into brief hypomanias. Since then it seems like life has been even more of a struggle than before, when I could believe it was "just depression" and it would go away somehow.

My friends and support people still believe that. They try to encourage me by saying that with diligent therapy I can pull myself out of depression altogether, and that once I'm better I can stop taking medications. They say the depression is caused by abuse and neglect I suffered in early childhood, and that it's possible to re-train my brain against the damaging survival skills it learned back then.

I'd really like to believe them. But everything that I've heard about Bipolar says that it's an incurable, lifelong illness. If that's the case I hardly can motivate myself to try climbing out of the pit, because it seems inevitable that I'll slide right back in again.

So my question is, is it really possible to heal your mind of Bipolar Disorder as it is of some types of depression? If not, what is the use of therapy?

Thanks,
    Songbird

Welcome Songbird,

I don't believe you can isolate Bipolar II from the root causes of depression. After all, bipolar is the swing from depressive to manic states, therefore depression is a component of bipolar. While greater minds than mine have defined the various ailments we collectively know as mood disorders, I also believe that no part of this can be dismissed as "just depression".

The point of introducing my thoughts into the discussion is that we treat the depression and the mood swings with antidepressants. Delving further into treatment, the most common routes are drug therapy and CBT, usually a combination of both. One may suspect the CBT route smacks of the old " just snap out of it" mindset, but it works. Medication is effective as well, but the individual plan varies and can be difficult to impossible to target accurately.

So, down to your question, do we ever heal. My experience would suggest likely not. We may find ways to manage our mood, but anyone is susceptible to a mood swing and the measure of danger is how deep. One episode increases the chances of another and I think the lifelong challenge is to avoid the black dogs. That is where CBT shines in that you recognize your patterns and triggers which allows you to modify your behavior before the depression sets in. Some days will not be as pleasant or productive as others, that is an unavoidable fact of the human condition. Smoothing the road is the best we can hope for.
    ​​​​

Comment

Welcome to the forum Songbird. To answer your question "Does anyone ever really "heal" from Bipolar?" my short answer would be no. It is not an illness that goes away, but there are things we can do to manage it. Mood swings with bipolar can vary greatly from one person to another. The highs, the lows and everything in between can vary greatly from one to another.

In my own experience, managing the illness is a realistic goal. I have found that an approach that considers all aspects of life works best.

A healthy diet, exercise, rest and sleep, and avoiding things like excessive caffeine helpful.

Addressing physical illness and challenges is also important.

As Fighting Back has mentioned, some find CBT useful.

Psychotherapy was important to me at one point, to address issues from the past. It also helped me identify triggers that can make things worse.

I also found writing and being outside a good way to ground me.

Medication has been a part of my road to wellness. It was a challenge to find the combination that worked that I can tolerate. It was worth all the effort.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Songbird and welcome. No one knows who may come down with mental illness. One person with a horrific childhood may not need any medication and another person from the same faimly may need a boxfull.

Is bipolar a live long illness? Usually, but some people find ways to limit their highs and lows through experience and finding out what works and what doesn't work. Some of us will never go back to being who we once were, others will. Take Care.paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hi there,
          I would have to agree with what AJ said about an approach that affects all aspects of life works best.
          For me, I have to do multiple things, and avoid multiple things, to live my life the best way possible.
          I do alot of reading, and take quite time outs for myself to "reset" my energy.
          I listen to music, that helps alot too. Writing, and drawing are also a massive release for me.
          I am on a few different types of medications, and I have a therapist as well as my psychiatrist.
          I go to a support group as well, and I am on this forum too.
          I found what helps the most, though, is talking about it openly and being honest with myself and my therapists/doctors.
          I also avoid certain types of food/drinks. I limit myself to one coffee a day, and try my best to eat a "clean" diet. Exercise also helps!

Comment

Working...
          X