Lithium and Valproic Acid weight gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium and Valproic Acid weight gain

Hi, I've been struggling with Bipolar II for most of my life I gather but wasn't finally diagnosed by a Psychiatrist until 2 years ago. Last year I was in the Psych ward for a month and during that time my Psychiatrist changed my meds a few times. After the hospital I was on 1500mg of Lithium a day and 1250mg of Valproic Acid. However, I couldn't even workout as I was too shaky, I still am actually, but my Psychiatrist has reduced my Lithium to 900mg a day. The main issue is that when I went on these I seemed to go from 190lbs to 210lbs instantly and I cannot get rid of this stomach fat now from it. I have always been in shape, I do weights and cardio and I eat healthy but it seems the meds take over no matter what. Does anyone have advice for this?

Hello KK1077 and welcome. Un welcome weight gain is a problem many of face when taking pysch meds. I don't have any good solutions. I put up with the weight gain until I was stable and then worked for a long time to slowly get my weight back down. Not the best advice, but for me there was no choice I needed the meds. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you Paul M for your response.

Comment

Welcome to the forums kek1977.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you AJ, do you happen to have any input on this topic?

Comment

Unfortunately weight gain can be a problem with some of these medications. I found it worst at the beginning of treatment. Once I was stable and the dosages could be reduced it wasn't quite as hard to get the pounds off. It is frustrating though. It seemed that I gained weight eating a stick of celery! Exercise in combination with a more 'healthy' diet made a difference. When I was on lithium, many moons ago, I gained a ton of weight. I was young and healthy and decided to lace up my runners and go back to running. I wouldn't be able to do those miles now, although I do enjoy hiking.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Yes, I feel the same right now. I cannot do the running but hiking/walking is enjoyable along with weight training.

Comment

Working...
              X