ODSP Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODSP Application

Hey everyone I’m new here. Was recently diagnosed Bipolar and my doctor suggested I apply for ODSP. Does any one have any tips or things that are important to mention? I’ve heard almost everyone gets denied the first time so I want to do a good job on it.

Hello and welcome Selective Sanity. You are right that ODSP has a rep for not approving the case the first time. You can improve the odds. ODSP relies primarily on what your doc sez and to some extent what you say. Often a doc will say something like " with proper treatment John Smith will be able to work to return to work". Or something similar. The problem being that trying to find the right treatment could take a life time. So if you can get the doc let you read what they write or at least talk with them about what they will write.

I think there is also a part for you to complete. Make sure that you include all of your problems. If for example a medication makes you sleepy the next day (or the same day) include it. If the illness causes you to have problems, include them. For example you have a problem sleeping due to your mind spinning or refusing to shut down, include it. Nothing is too small to include.

ODSP may want you to apply for Canada Pension Disability. CPPD can be equally harsh for turning down first time apps and for the same reasons. If you have a working history where you have paid into CPP you should apply for CPPD. If you apply for and get accepted by CPPD it will make a difference in how much you will make when you turn 65.

Please feel free to ask more questions , answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m P.S. both CPPD and ODSP applications go better if phrases are included that indicate the illness is prolonged and severe. Prolonged meaning expected to last a year. You may get approved with a lessor statement but it will increase your odds if your doc sez that.
    Last edited by paul m; March 1, 2019, 11:41 PM.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum Selective Sanity.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks Paul. I have been working on my application and will be sure to include all the little details.

Thanks AJ for the welcome

-Melissa

Comment

Working...
        X