Manic Episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manic Episodes

What happens when you are manic? When I was first manic, I was at the nail salon getting my nails done. I then got up and started pacing back and forth, yelling at the top of my lungs and singing. I had this feeling that I was on top of the world and that I was a beautiful pop star that had the purpose of educating people on politics with my music. I was arrested at the nail salon for that episode. It was deranged. There is a song by Lady Gaga that would play that I believed were angels talking to me through the "airwaves". Mostly I felt on top of the world and felt like I could do anything. My entrepreneurial skills also skyrocketed and I wanted to start my own business all in the same time frame. I would also play the piano to Lady Gaga's music, like she and I were on friendship basis which is entirely not true.

Hello FriedEgg and welcome to the forum. When I'm fully manic I spend money like water, I also get annoying as all heck as I have to be right even on small items, my judgement approaches zero and through in a few other fun things like paranoia and the occasional hallucination and that's pretty much me when manic. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I've heard that spending money freely is a symptom of bipolar. I can see the need to be right and judgment being poor as being a symptom as well. I can relate to that one. Does being manic feel good to you? Is that a normal response to mania?

Comment

All of my manias are mixed. I've never had one that even briefly felt good, and apparently they're even more dangerous than "regular" manias. Never having had any other kind I can't compare them, but that's what my doctors tell me and I believe them. They certainly are very dangerous! I also get psychotic symptoms (delusions, paranoia, hallucinations) and if it's bad enough I have memory gaps.
        Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Whenever I was manic I was never happy. Many people have told me that they felt high or happy however I tended to feel as if nothing was ever enough, Like Gossip a lot of my mania was actually mixed states and I definitely wasn't happy during them. Take Care. paul m
          Helen Keller

Comment

Gossip, I wouldn't think manic episodes are safe. A lot of destruction can be caused in manic states.

Paul M, it's right now that I feel that nothing is enough and I'm not manic. When you say mania was actually mixed states what does that mean? What are the mixed states?

Comment

You're right that no mania is safe, but mixed is apparently the most dangerous kind of all. Mixed states have features of both mania and depression combined. Mine are predominantly manic, to the point that my doc refers to them as mixed manias. I can have all the manic impulsiveness and lack of judgement, and be intensely suicidal at the same time. Not a great combo! There's more to it than that for me, but I think that's the main reason they're considered more dangerous. As I said, they're the only type of mania I've ever had.

ETA: Well I guess that's not entirely true, but my non-mixed manias are on the agitated and irritable side of the spectrum rather than euphoric (or whatever the correct term is... I think you all know what I mean). Agitated and irritable are the official words in the diagnostic criteria according to my doc, but they're very small words for what I go through! I've gotten physically aggressive enough to break someone's bones, which obviously isn't something I'm proud of, but honestly that's how bad it's gotten. Mania scares me very much!!! It's only in the aftermath that I become aware of where I've mentally been, if I even remember it all. Depression I know won't last forever, even if it feels like it will, but mania's a different animal entirely.
              Last edited by Gossip; April 24, 2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I edited my last post with a clarification, in case anyone is interested....

Comment

Thanks for letting us know Gossip. I reread your last post. I can totally relate to how scary and dangerous those mixed states are.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello FriedEgg. Mixed states are pretty much as Gossip describes. For example with mixed states you can be extremely tired (depression), yet your mind will not quit racing(mania). Or you may have trouble going outside (depression) yet you spend 1000s of dollars via the internet (mania)..
                    With mixed states there is no definite formula., you just have symptoms of both mania and depression at the same time,. Take Care paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

What I was trying to say, too, is that irritable and agitated (so they call it) is another type of straight mania that's not a mixed state. I get those too.

Comment

Mixed states sound scary and dangerous to be in. To be in a depressed yet manic state could cause someone major harm to themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X