No announcement yet.

Losing the Weight Brought On by Bipolar Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as your question whether the weight can all be from the meds, I gained 40 lbs in a couple of months (after that my meds were changed, but it wasn't slowing down) so yes.
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Gossip, that really is a shame. Here we are looking to get better and then experience the aftermath of weight gain... and it’s sure not easy to lose!

Comment

FriedEgg,
        Yes, the topiramate was prescribed after I had been on Seroquel for a bit, gained weight, and was going on a higher dose. Topiramate helps with appetite. So I still had to change my diet and exercise, it was just a bit easier. Initially Seroquel made me feel hungry all the time.

Comment

I got rid of it, but it took a couple of years. And I've been holding steady at a healthy weight for a year since reaching my goal.
          Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Way to go Gossip. Losing weight is hard. It takes a lot of time, commitment and dedication.

Comment

I wonder if there are weight loss coaches that specifically help people with bipolar disorder?

Comment

I would think there would be coaches/trainers who work with people who have gained weight because of psychiatric meds. If not, there should be. There are so many of us. I do know some psychiatric hospitals have clinics for metabolic syndrome.

Comment

Wow - that is a really good idea FriedEgg... coaches that understand various mental illnesses and ways to work with the behaviour/medications specific each case. I have a couple of family members who are coaches - I will bring this up with them next time we get together.

K.

Comment

Kaight, I just figured, coaches who know of these medication issues would be better able to strategize and coach people out and away from the weight gain. It's tough work losing weight. I've tried various methods but am now committed to Intermittent Fasting and Weight Watchers. Hopefully I can lose the 49 lbs or so that I gained weight on meds.

Comment

I'm finding a few more people on the internet that battle bipolar and are experiencing weight gain from bipolar meds. Mostly people seem to be private about their battle but there are a few people who have been open that they experience Bipolar Disorder and are challenging themselves to weight loss. Has there been anyone here who's done Intermittent Fasting or Weight Watchers and been successful?

What are your tips for those looking to lose weight?

Comment

So, because I am a very logical person and I need to know the science behind things, I looked into the claims of intermittent fasting. You will find on the internet a lot of claims that it can influence various hormones and change this and that. There is absolutely no evidence to support any of this (studies that have been done, etc.). Why intermittent fasting is good and why it works (I have tried it, it helps) is it narrows down the time in which you eat so you are likely to eat fewer calories. I did the 16:8. Fast for 16 hours eat for 8 hours. It worked until it did not. I find it better just to focus on maintaining a diet that is healthy, where there will be a calorie deficit and do not count exercise as burning calories, because studies also show it contributes very little to weight loss. (but you should still exercise for health in general). There is no magic plan, diet or trick really. It's just...patience.

Comment

That's unusual. Some of our previous posts were deleted? Anyone know why?

Comment

I know people say the key to weight loss is to eat less than calories burned but how do people ensure the number of calories being eaten? I currently log all my food on MyFitnessPal and make sure I'm under 1200 calories a day but my weight loss isn't consistent. I go up and down and hover around 184 lbs on a 5'2" frame.

Comment

It basically takes a certain amount of calories just to run your body. If you cut beyond 1200 you will have major issues down the line losing weight. You may even want to start a little higher than 1200 so when you plateau you have something to cut. I'm not sure if you are weighing yourself daily? If so you are bound to see fluctuations. If you think you are doing everything you possibly can, go see your doctor. It is a struggle!

Edit: and thanks for confirming some posts were deleted. I thought it was a dream.

Comment

FriedEgg there was an issue with the website and some posts were lost. I posted a note about it in the Help and Feedback section.
                                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                                for not being what they believe they should be.
                                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                                X