No announcement yet.

Losing the Weight Brought On by Bipolar Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Miss Moods and AJ. I thought some posts went missing. I just wanted to make sure.

Comment

Does anyone know of any programs or websites that can help support weight loss? I’ve hit a wall at 11 lbs and I can’t seem to lose more weight than that.

Comment

Perhaps a dietitian can help?
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I found the MyFitnessPal app helpful. It's a pain to be scanning barcodes and stuff all the time, but you're going to have to do that or something similar with any app or program.
          Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

AJ, I am currently working with a dietician. She is recommending to me to eat my vegetables but that is the only difference in her help. MyFitnessPal has been helping, Gossip. I have been able to lose a few pounds by tracking what I eat and seeing how many calories I consume day to day but it's still not dropping my weight drastically.

My hope is to connect with people who have lost more than 40 lbs. How do they do it?

All I seem to do is go up and down on the scale a few lbs, flucuating between 184 and 185 lbs.

Comment

How long have you been working at it... with MFP and the dietitian? I lost about 40 lbs, but it took over a year. I used MFP and worked out regularly. I alternate about 40 mins cardio sessions - heart rate above 140 the whole time (target heart rate varies with age though) - with weight lifting. I'm in the gym 6 days a week. Didn't start out going that hard of course, and my cardio sessions didn't start out so long, but you work up to it. And then you have to adjust what and how much you're eating to have enough of the right kind of fuel in your body for the workouts. Significant weightloss takes a long time, and it isn't a simple process. Bonus is that working out helps stabilize mood and helps with sleep, and sleep helps stabilize mood too
              Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

My goal was to lose 10 Ibs and I lost 12. It took a long time and I think the combination of exercise, sensible eating, and a change in meds made the difference.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I've been working with a Dietitian since September. I'm really struggling. I've lost 4 lbs in total that I gain and lose again. I'm feeling frustrated that nothing is working.

Comment

Hello FriedEgg. It can be real tough to lose weight. I was grossly overweight My scale only went up to 305lbs and I used to max it out. I did manage to lose 40-50lbs on my own but it went very slowly. I watched what I ate, I also drank a lot of water and coffee. (I know drinking a lot of coffee isn't the best thing for someone with bipolar) and I tried to get 3-4 days a week of sweat exercise at 20 minutes per time. Sweat exercise is just exercise where you break out into a sweat because of your workout and not because it's hot out. I lost another 60+ lbs when I had to undergo chemo and radiation for cancer and I don't recommend that to anybody LOL

One of worst habits was eating just before I went to bed. Also I used to eat 1-2 bigger meals and then snack for the rest of the time. Even though my total calories intake wasn't that high the timing of my eating tended to put on weight. I still have to watch out for weight slowly creeping out. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                    "Alone we can do so little;
                    Together we can do so much"
                    Helen Keller

Comment

I lost around 60 lbs, but in order for me to do this I have to be obsessive. I counted everything that went into my body and I ate the same breakfast and lunch everyday. Again, exercise will not actually help much unless you are building a great deal of muscle. The trouble is, we burn far fewer calories than we think and overcompensate. So yes,exercise but do something you actually enjoy and don't worry about the rest. It is down to calorie intake. If you are counting a deficit consistently (eating 1200-1500 calories) and nothing is working long term you need a blood panel done. But also know, even one "cheat day" can set you back. It is HARD!

Comment

Hello Everyone. If you have a YMCA in your area and a low income, you may be entitled to a free or low cost membership. Take Care. paul m
                        "Alone we can do so little;
                        Together we can do so much"
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks for letting us know that Paul.

Comment

I know that my sister has been using topiramate for her disorder, and she actually lost like 15 lbs. She was also constantly feeling dizzy and nervous and never wanted to eat. I felt like she's gonna become anorexic. We were actually really worried about her health condition and about all these side effects. My parents decided to contact a health coach that could create her own diet plan and convenience her to improve her eating habits. And it actually worked, and we're delighted to see her stronger, healthier, and live her best life now! P.S. She's still taking the medications, and from time to time, feels dizzy!
                            Last edited by Lisari; May 1, 2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Check with your doctor because each medication has its side effects. Some of them might be innocent, but others can influence your body badly. It's pretty standard that people are gaining weight after taking medication for Bipolar Syndrome.
                              Try changing your diet plan to a healthier one and consider adding some supplements as well. Check nootropic reviews or superfood reviews, those helped me in my weight loss journey. I wish you good luck, and hopefully, you will achieve your weight target fast!
                              Last edited by DianaCornish; August 30, 2021, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Many drugs have side effects, so you should consult a doctor before taking them. I struggled with drug addiction for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X