Tardive Dyskinesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tardive Dyskinesia

I’ve been recently diagnosed TD. I’d like to know if anyone has experienced it and how they handled their diagnosis.

TD, if you haven’t heard of it is a movement disorder that develops as a side effect of taking antipsychotic medication. For me it looks like I’m chewing. It’s totally subconscious and it’s become chronic. I also find it’s much harder for me to sit still.

My doctor thinks it was from Loxapine which I stopped taking, my husband thinks it’s from the ziprasadone I’m still taking. My doctor initially said it couldn’t be from the ziprasadone but has since done some research and now says it could be.

I need to make some decisions.

First, I need to decide if I want to take a prescription for my TD. I means another script when I’m on so many plus my TD may be permanent so I could be on the medication for the rest of my life.

Second, I need to decide if I’m going to stay on the ziprasadone. If the ziprasadone is the cause and I keep taking it my TD symptoms could get worse. Problem is the ziprasadone cured my crippling anxiety after months of trial and error and I’m terrified if I give it up the anxiety will return and we won’t find another drug that works as well.

Any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated.

Hello Psparks. I too suffer from TD. I tend to lick and smack my lips way too often and I also have several repetitive movement with my hands. I didn't want to take extra meds either but I'm slowly trying to work out a solution.For my face I try and keep a pen top or something clenched in my teeth. It doesn't stop it all but it does help. For my hands I have no solution. I will be trying several different meds to try and control these things, but I hate to add anything to the mix I already take.

It doesn't help that my psychiatrist and my neurologist each have different opinions. Part of the problem is I can't see them more than 2-3 times a year(well I can see my pdoc a bit more often) .But I'm sure that I will eventually find a way to live with the TD. But it is going to take time. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I have TD too. Mostly licking my lower lip or an involuntary muscle twitch in my cheek. It seems to be worse when I’m emotionally upset or in deep concentration.

I have tried meds, it helped somewhat. I did stop that antipsychotic when the TD first started. I was fortune enough to be well enough at the time to do that.

People can be rude. Do you think I need a commentary about it, or comments behind my back about it?

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
      X