Boyfriend No Longer Feels Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyfriend No Longer Feels Love

My boyfriend of a year has recently been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder II. He says he feels numb and no longer feelings loving feeling towards anything or anyone. He says in his heart he knows he loves me, but he just doesn’t feel the feelings anymore.

I am trying very hard to be supportive and he says he doesn’t want us to end. But he doesn’t say I love you anymore, even when I say it to him. I am trying not to be insecure but I’m feeling down about myself and I feel disconnected from him. I want to help him but he pushes me away. I’m left feeling like I don’t know anything about the relationship anymore.

Is this something that happens often to people when they are going through depressive episodes of Bipolar? Will feelings of happiness and love come back eventually?
    Last edited by East_Coast11; February 12, 2020, 01:38 PM.

Welcome to the forum East_Coast11. I'm sorry to hear that it has been so difficult for you. Unfortunately mental illness affects those in a relationship with that person. I know it's no consolation but I bet he feels numb about almost everything not just you. With proper treatment he can be well again. It's not an easy road to wellness, but it is possible.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome East_Coast11 . I know it's hard but try and not feel down about yourself. Bipolar is a nasty illness and often gives us feelings that are not rooted in facts. It is possible that when he receives proper treatment that his feelings for you will come back.
      For myself when I was having episodes it was very hard for me to care about anyone, myself included. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
      X