Medication Coverage During COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication Coverage During COVID

Greetings. I am trying to find ways I can cover the costs of my medications during the pandemic. I was layed off in July but the company I worked for allowed us to prepay for benefits for 3 further months in an agreement with manulife. I was on the CERB until it ended and then transitioned over to EI. I get the full amount on EI available, but with rent and basic living expenses it leaves very little for anything else. I have only a few weeks left of medication and the costs are very high, especially for meds like Latuda. The blue cross plan in Alberta is almost $70 a month in premiums alone. That is an option for getting coverage but when you have little that is allot. Anyone have any suggestions for other coverage for medication. Without any, I simply can not afford it and will eventually run out, probably leading to an episode and then hospitalization. I am stable with my meds, so urgently looking for a solution.
    Thanks,

Hi jethbrown and welcome to the forums.

On an emergency basis, you can get assistance here https://www.alberta.ca/emergency-fin...px#jumplinks-1

The non group 1 Blue Cross is an option with no exclusion for preexisting conditions. https://www.alberta.ca/non-group-coverage.aspx

There is a premium subsidy program with Group 1. https://www.alberta.ca/non-group-cov...px#jumplinks-6 (Scroll down)

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello jethbrown, and welcome! I'm sure you aren't alone in the situation with meds during this pandemic. It sounds like you have a good idea of where you're at.

I'm thinking there has to be some way to get the meds subsidised. I don't live in Alberta so don't know the provincial setup there. Here's an idea that may be kind of a last resort, but believe it or not, calling the office of your local MLA may help. It's surprising what they can hook a person up with sometimes. Or even the office of your member of parliament, given that CERB and EI are federal.

Aside from that, or from paying for private insurance like Blue Cross, I'm wondering if you've considered asking your pharmacist. That's where I've gone in the past when needing to get help paying for meds. They had me fill out a request form for the provincial government which gave me a break on the cost.

I hope you're able to sort something out. Nobody should have to risk getting sick again and ending up in the hospital. I'm rooting for you!
      Last edited by uni; February 16, 2021, 10:32 PM.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into these options.

Comment

Good day jethbrown. I too, was once in a major financial pinch and couldn't afford my prescriptions. I discussed this situation with my family doctor who was very angry with me for skipping entire months of medication and not bringing it to his attention sooner. He explained to me that my on-again/off-again approach could never do me much good, and may in fact make my condition worse... or even worse. But he was a good man with many resources and clever ideas. He gave me a referral to directly access the hospital pharmacy located within a very large mental health facility here in town... which just happens to be the provincial headquarters. To my surprise, the cost of an entire month supply of medication suddenly dropped to just 35 cents! "How can this be so," I asked? And I was told that the hospital's pharmacy simply drops the 'dispensing fee' that's normally applied by retail pharmacies... and passes the medication to the patient at their cost from the manufacturer.

Yes, this story is probably three decades old... but true nonetheless. I'd recommend you speak to your doctor.

~Moralis

Comment

This whole covid thing has enormously changed our lives, especially for children who don't have everything they should have because of the pandemic. In general, I am terrified that my little girl will have covid because the other day, I did an antigen corona test and I found out that my wife and I are infected. We will also test the little girl today.
            Last edited by Daloures; May 21, 2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Daloures.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Welcome Daloures. I hope all is turning out alright for you and your family
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That is so good to hear! I mean, except for how problematic COVID-19 is, but I absolutely applaud your government for backing mostly everyone with medication coverage.

Comment

Daloures, I hope you and your family are feeling better.

Mocha231

Comment

COVID-19 discount drugs are not only available to patients in hospitals; they are also given to people who are treated at home. In some cases, not everyone receives medication. If there is enough evidence to bring charges of health care fraud, you can take the case to the federal prosecutor's office. An acquaintance of mine was in this situation, without hiring a lawyer, he followed the instructions at https://www.natlawreview.com/article...vive-oig-audit. It's a pretty good article that helped him win his case.
                      Last edited by Snuggly; March 4, 2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I was able to get the Alberta Drug Benefit from Alberta Works. Monthly benefit card that covers almost all medical expenses. I talked to a hospital social worker and she referred me to it. I ended up getting an MLA involved to get approval as I needed life sustaining medication i.e. insulin. Thanks for all your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                        X