I was told “not to aim high” so I wouldn't disappoint myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told “not to aim high” so I wouldn't disappoint myself

I was told “not to aim high” after being accurately diagnosed with manic-depression (bipolar disorder, type 1), at age 17.........52 years ago. After crying, I swore to myself that I would succeed in spite of having a serious mental illness & I did:

WORK EXPERIENCE RESUMÈ

1. Information Systems Manager (computer and/or manual information systems):

Unemployment Insurance Commission, Statistics Canada (labour information), & Labour Canada, Ottawa
    - RCMP security clearance to ‘Secret’.

Private industry, Montreal & British Columbia (B.C.)
    - information systems manager with staff of sixteen(16) programmers & analysts in computer and/or manual information systems development, maintenance & technical support (software & hardware);
    - development & maintenance of personnel, payroll, financial, inventory control, R & D, etc. systems;
    - project & personnel management, policies setting, budgeting, scheduling, allocating resources, & establishing education programs for my staff, users & executives;
    - labour negotiations between managements & union members;
    - answered queries from federal & internal auditors.

Consultant to the B.C. Ministry of Health
    - completed feasibility study for implementation of patient information management computer and/or manual systems into all teaching hospitals, in the province;
    - requested & reviewed specifications from all manufacturers of hospital systems, in North America;
    - the pilot project was at Lions Gate Hospital, during which I consulted with Vancouver General, Royal Columbian, Royal Jubilee & Royal Inland hospitals, where initial hospital systems were to transfer to;
    - systems analysis of all 18 departments’ manual procedures & systems;
    - documented preliminary specifications identifying modifications to the IBM hospital computer systems’ programs to meet B.C. hospitals’ requirements (I went to Bethesda, MD, to assess their systems);
    - defined outstanding issues with priorities & my recommendations to review & resolve with department heads, hospital administrators, Ministry of Health representatives, & IBM Western Canada manager;
    - planned a phased implementation to minimize disruption to hospital operations/staff & to achieve the highest return on investment.

Certified tax accountant: good with figures.

3. Part-time paid jobs working with the public:
    • substitute teacher at Glebe Collegiate high school (English, history, geography & home economics);
    • cashier at I.G.A. (before UPC scanners);
    • sales clerk / cashier at retail department stores & shops;
    • doorperson & cocktail waitress at the Carleton University pub;
    • skydiving instructor / senior parachute rigger / expert licensed exhibition jumper / competitions judge.
    4. Volunteer Probation & Parole Officer, Corrections Ontario, working with young offenders to assist them to try to
    improve their lives, by providing them with hope & alternative options to continuing to commit crimes.

5. Mental Health Advocate to help improve the mental well-being & quality of life of patients, consumers*, family members, & mental health professionals & also try to reduce the stigma of mental illnesses;

Positions held (I am a strong proponent of teamwork):

- Mood Disorders Assoc. of B.C. (M.D.A.): president, director, facilitator of support groups for consumers / family members / friends / mental health professionals, writing articles for M.D.A. newsletters, 24/7 crisis line counsellor, working in partnership with the Canadian Mental Health Assoc.- B.C. Branch, the B.C. Schizophrenia Society, & representatives of Mental Health Teams & I also setup & facilitated the first M.D.A. in-patient support group, in the province;

- Provincial Mental Health Consumer Advisory Council of B.C.: chairperson, representative for the consumers in Vancouver, working in partnership with the Provincial Mental Health Family Advisory Council of B.C., & I also setup & maintained a network with all B.C. health regional. consumer reps;

- Provincial Mental Health Advisory Council of B.C.: member & executive member reporting to the B.C. Deputy Minister of Health, including my input to a B.C. 10-year Strategic Plan for Mental Health

- World Health Organisation (W.H.O.) - Mental Health Research Project, B.C.: executive member.

I did a lot of research into mental illnesses / health, primarily mood disorders, & educated the public:
    - giving public speaking presentations on CBC radio across Canada, Rogers Cablevision TV in B.C. & other parts of Canada, & to many diverse groups throughout B.C. (i.e. students, bus drivers);
    - being quoted in McLean’s magazine, Vancouver Sun, Vancouver Province & other newspapers.
    - Walking club member, on the entertainment committee, to plan fun social events & volunteer at them.

6. Primary caregiver, for over 18 years, to three(3) immediate family members with mental illnesses:
    - a parent & sibling diagnosed with bipolar disorders & a sibling with heroin/opioid/cannabis addictions.

* Note: In B.C., a “Consumer” is a person with a mental illness who avails oneself of mental health services.

I've been fine for quite a while, living in my own home with a tenant renting my basement suite. I enjoy the relationships with my close family members & good friends. I'm independent & drive my own vehicle. Before the pandemic, I was doing volunteer work & loving it. Life is good especially when I live in the present & look forward to the future!

Hi Petra!

It can be difficult to reflect back at a time where you felt hopeless of your future but it must feel even better to do so now and be proud of all your accomplishments. Keep going! You should never underestimate your abilities.
    "Even the moon passes through phases to return to full" - ☾*✲⋆.*✲⋆

Comment

Working...
    X