Cannabis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannabis?

I think I had a hypomania episode, and trying to be proactive I went to the hospital. I made the mistake of telling them I smoke cannabis. I smoke because otherwise my Restless Legs Syndrome can be absolute torture even with medication. Today I had a follow up call from the psychiatrist, and was told that if I didn't stop the weed she couldn't do anything for me. For context I'm in Canada (Ontario) where it's completely legal, and I smoke maybe 1g a day (not much); I didn't start till later in life and I'm not exactly an all day all night smoker.

I feel like I was denied treatment because this psychiatrist knows nothing more about weed than the decades of propaganda around it. It was a frustrating and upsetting experience, and I feel it was unprofessional for this doctor to not listen to her patient and deny me treatment.

As I've learned more I'm fairly certain that I've had hypomania lots of times but didn't really clue in, and only sought help for depression through my family doctor. The depression is pretty controlled with Cymbalta but the hypomania is not, and unfortunately it sneaks up on me just like the depression does. It's caused problems at work, and I want to get it under control.

Anyways, I guess I muddle through with the family doctor. :-(. Moral of the story... don't admit to smoking weed even if it's legal. No wonder there are so many of us self medicating and getting by without proper treatment. Our health care system is doctor focused, not patient focused.

Hi Mwlcarter and welcome to the forums. I can understand your frustration in trying to get the help you need. While Cymbalta has helped you with your depression it has the potential to cause mood swings into hypomania or mania. Of course these states can occur without Cymbalta. Sometimes doctors will switch a patient to an antidepressant less likely to contribute to these mood swings, or they will add a mood stabilizer. Honestly I would ask your family doctor to refer you to a different psychiatrist. Your family doctor also has the option of consulting with a psychiatrist about the medication aspect of treatment.

Although much has been learned about marijuana in the last few years, there is still much to learn. The products available today are much more potent then the early days, and the many variations in formulas make it difficult to make generalizations about marijuana use.

For those interested in learning more, below is a good resource for information. While there is debate about how we apply that information, it is a good read.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It's worth mentioning that in Canada, where you are, cannabis is indeed legal, and many people use it as a legitimate form of medication. The stigma around it can persist, though, even in professional healthcare settings. If you're dealing with Restless Legs Syndrome and other issues like hypomania, it's crucial to explore all possible avenues for treatment. Cannabis, when used responsibly, can be a valuable tool. For further insights and information, you might want to check out resources like cannabis migraine treatment. They provide detailed information about how cannabis can be beneficial for various medical conditions, including migraines.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Sansonvauter. Thank you for posting the link.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X