Has anyone tried Abilify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried Abilify?

I went to see my pdoc today. We spoke about my meds possibly pooping out and that I was having a major depressive episode. We discussed a few options. Since I had seen the ads on TV, I asked him about Abilify. He said it was worth a try. He also put me on a waiting list for CBT and dynamic therapy - unfortunately, there is about a 6 month wait. I am hoping that Abilify will help. Has anyone else tried it? I know that it is relatively new to Canada.
    I hope you all have a good weekend.
    imott

I was on it for a while but unfortunately, it didn't work well for me. I hope it works for you, good luck.

Comment

I'm on it and it has been helpful for me. I've tolerated it well too.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Imott,

A friend of mine has been on Abilify for a year and it has helped her.
        Feel better,
        Christina

Comment

Hi everyone. I took my first pill this morning. My head feels a little weird. Like a dull headache but different. My pharmacist told me I would feel some side effects until my body adjusts. I hope it doesn't last too long cuz it's making it really hard to work. I almost feel like I'm not really here.

Thanks for the comments. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

My Dr suggested to me that Abilify might be a better 'fit' for me after gaining 60 pounds with Seroquel & Effexor as apparently it doesn't have the severe weight gain side effects. However after only a week I was in a state of almost constant panic, agitation & impatience so obviously this was not the way for me personally. It was also extremely expensive compared to my present medications. Best of luck!

Comment

Well, Abilify didn't work. My doc was surprised at how sensitive I was to the medication. The normal dose for depression is 2-5mg. I was on 1mg and it was still too strong. Too many side effects: stiffness in legs, horrible cravings, weight gain, shortness of breath, irritability. So this week I decided to stop it. I can't take it anymore. So I stopped yesterday (Tuesday). I'm feeling like I'm spiraling down and burnt out. My work is suffering and I'm missing a lot of days. Thankfully I'm able to see my psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm not sure what to do. He did mention Seroquel, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any advice? Oh, and I'm on the hunt for a new therapist. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

How did you make out seeing your psychiatrist?
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi AJ. Well, he agreed with me that the side effects were to much so we're going to wait a couple of weeks to let the Abilify wash out of my system. Then I'm probably going for a psychopharmacology evaluation because I've already tried almost all the meds available. Then we are either going to try Seroquel or scrap the cipralex (what I'm on now) and try Cymbalta. So there are a lot of maybes in the near future. I'm thinking that the cipralex and wellbutrin have just "pooped out" but it's really frustrating having to change meds every few years. On the up side, I may have found a psychologist. I have an assessment appointment on Feb 10th. I really hope it works out.

Comment

I'd be frustrated with having to mess around with meds. In fact I'm in the process of it right now. I never know where my feet will land so to speak.

I'm glad that you have an assessment with a psychologist. When I was dealing with childhood trauma, I had a combination of a psychologist and my psychiatrist to work with. I found that this combination worked well for me.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I've been with my psychiatrist for about 5 years now and he's the best. He's the only one I trust at the moment. He knows what problems I had with therapy, but he was very blunt with me: the meds will help, but I will never get really better without some therapy. And I have to work hard at it. So, I'm looking forward to the assessment, but nervous at the same time. I know I HAVE to do something bc whatever I'm doing now is not working and all areas of my life are suffering: work, home, relationships, etc. I wish there was a magic "happy pill" out there that could fix my brain.

Comment

I'm glad you like your psychiatrist. I really like mine too. Let us know how you make out with the assessment.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

When someone asks about a specific medication I often hesitant to respond because ones reaction to psych meds is such an individual experience. What works well for one person can cause unacceptable side effects for another and/or have no positive affect. Anyway, I take seroquel and lamotrogine. This combination works well for my longstanding and mostly very severe depression. Your doctor is very correct, meds are only one piece of the recovery strategy.
                          dave

Comment

Speaking of meds, I hate going to the pharmacy all the time. Just sayin

Comment

Hello Danprichet and welcome. I don't like going to pharmacies either. I have found that it it is easier to get good service and advice at my local small drug store than the big box store pharmacy that I used to go to.

I pay a couple of dollars more for the presricption fee, but they are much more accomadating when I have a problem with my meds or I forget and I need a really quick refill. Take Care. paul m
                              "Alone we can do so little;
                              Together we can do so much"
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X