Weight gain and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight gain and depression

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety about three years ago. Since about 2002 I had been a competitive mtn biker, xc skier, very outdoorsy, very active and busy. My anxiety probably had something to do with how busy I was, however, that was the lifestyle I was leading. Since being medicated my love of the outdoors and cycling diminished greatly. I am now 34 lbs heavier and I haven't ridden or done something outside remotely close to exercise (is shovelling the driveway exercise?) in well over a month. I've lost touch with friends and am not interested in other things that I liked to do.

Part of the weight gain is the lack of exercise but also the seemingly non-stop eating. Cravings are ridiculous, mostly at night. I've tried to get help from a dietician, a naturopathic doctor, been taking testosterone (since taking meds my testosterone has fallen off), tried different diets......nothing seems to work and if it does I totally lose the motivation to keep with it.

I am in a better mood around my family, friends, work, and I don't sleep entire days away in the basement hiding from the world. I'm more like a content slug . . . . no highs, no lows, just blah........ This past weekend I was feeling quite down about all of this - how I've basically lost who I was - and it made me feel sad, angry and frustrated. I ended up laying in bed and sleeping most of the weekend away.

I'm at a loss. I want my old life back, minus the depression & anxiety of course. I've tried different medications and either they make everything worse or the same. I'm on +250mg of Effexor and the max dosage of Wellbutrin (300 mg I think?).

Can someone offer me some assistance? Ideas? Help!

I wish I could help you but your post helps me. The seriousness of the long time depression is becoming more obvious since I've reached the weight at just under 300 lbs. The dietitian says I can't lose weight until I deal with the mental health issues but the last two times I've tried medications, I've ended up having epileptic seizures which scare me even more than the depression/anxiety. I do take Ativan in the evening for sleep and anxiety and it is also listed as an epilepsy drug. I absolutely hate trying to find out which drugs give the best results because the only way to tell is when I get the worst result.

Comment

I don't really have much to offer but I thought it was ironic that the medication I take for my bipolar is primarily used for epilepsy. Its secondary use is a mood stabilizer. I have been taking it for several years now and felt very few side effects. It is called Lamotrigine/Lamictal.

Comment

I've been taking Lamotrigine/Lamictal for several years as well, but for epilepsy. I was up to 200 mg. twice daily (max. recommended dosage) and I thought that it was causing too much word drop. So now I'm down to 100 mg. twice daily with 750 mg of Levetiracetam/Keppra twice daily. I still have some word drop but it is lessened somewhat. The depression is getting worse but my research tells me that the Keppra can cause thoughts of suicide. This is the reason why my general practitioner wants me to see my neurologist to devise a method of treating the depression. As well, the last two attempts at treating the depression resulted in seizures and that was before Keppra. The neurologist said the last time I wanted to change the Lamictal that the only way he could determine the correct sized dosage is to wait till I have another seizure. Nobody wants to see that.

Thtufus

Comment

Holy thread jack! Any ideas anyone? Any other former athletes struggling with depression - weight gain?

Comment

Welcome to the forum bigring. I gained a lot of weight over a short period of time on certain psych meds. It was very discouraging.

I used to run every morning and that kept the weight off. Once I got arthritis I had to give up running. Boy did I gain weight.

I have recently worked with my doc to reduce the doses of some of my meds and that has resulted in some weight loss. I'm doing ok on the reduced dosage regimen. I know that isn't always possible or the appropriate thing to do.

It's a double whammy dealing with mental illness and weight gain. I understand what it's like to be a former athlete. Not only does it help with weight control it also helps with our general state of well being. I miss running. I will always miss it. I am grateful that I can walk and that's what I have to remember.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Bigringand welcome. Getting better from depression is a complex task. One that is often not helped by our doctors. Most doctors mean well , but their idea of getting better and yours may differ significantly. Your idea of getting better is to " get your old life back" your doc's idea of getting better " may be to get you to a point so that you are no longer suicidal".

Often during our journies we will find that one med will get help greatly for and then take us no farther. Or at least that has been my experience.

In regards to the weight gain. People who are depressed can just as easily involuntarily lose weight as they can involuntarily gain weight. I gained a lot of weight and it's taken a long time to get rid of some of it.

The following is based on no medical literature, but is just a W.A.G. made by me (wild ass guess LOL) I find that when ever I take anti anxiety meds, my will power in regarding eating goes out the door. MY logic is that part of what keeps me from eating is my anxiety against gaining weight. When I take and anti anxiety med, this lowers my anxiety and I don't worry so much about gaining weight , so I raid the cookie jar , fridge etc. Effexor has an anti anxiety agent build right into it.

In regards to testosterone. Constant use of pysch meds can have that affect. Make sure that you get continuous blood work and readings done until you are at the level that you want. I found that the pills didn't give a consistent enough reading, shots were all that worked for me.

Good Luck. It can be tough. Take Care. paul m

P. S. To Thutfus. In regards to Keppra causing depression. The drug companies own drug product monograph shows that the rate of psychiatric problems for those taking Keppra was 2.5X's a much then the placebo group . A psychiatrist or a neurologist may have better knowledge than anyone else in regards to your treatment. My neurologist keeps my P.Doc informed and vice versa of what meds that I'm taking to insure that the best combos are used. (one is treating me for biploar and the other for parkinson, but the both are caused because of problems with the brain and some meds will help one and hurt the other. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

both are caused because of problems with the brain and some meds will help one and hurt the other.
                What a balancing act Paul, treating Parkinson and Bipolar. I'm glad you have the collaboration of both your neurologist and psychiatrist.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thx AJ. But no different then what you go through trying to balance all of your meds. If I remember correctly, if they screw up my meds I just go manic, if they screw up your meds you have physical problems and that must be real tough to deal with. Take Care. paul m
                  Last edited by paul m; April 14, 2016, 01:49 AM.
                  "Alone we can do so little;
                  Together we can do so much"
                  Helen Keller

Comment

Yes Paul it sure is tough to deal with, and you do remember right.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I have been a runner and a boxer since my teens. I am only 5' 9" and my weight when I was married 22 years ago was 170 lbs. I am about 185 now but a few times in the past 20 years have been up to about 220 lbs or more.

Exercise and healthy eating are what manages my weight and moods best.
                      dave

Comment

Working...
                      X