Stressing out over the little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stressing out over the little things

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I was hoping I could share some issues I am having right now, see if anyone has any tips

At work today I made 3 mistakes that completely ruined my day, at my place of employment I am responsible for making tests for hospital patients, today i mislabeled 3 patients req's, not usually a big deal but it made me feel like a complete failure, I know its just a mistake but I can't seem to get the looming feeling that it was a big failure, anyone else have something minor just ruin your day? Anyone have any tips on how to forgive yourself for little mistakes? I don't know why this is bugging me so much

Welcome to the forum Safari Dan.

I worked in the health care field. When a mistake is made the focus should be shifted from blame to : Was the mistake caught and corrected? Were there any negative outcomes due to the mistake that need to be addressed? How can the mistake be prevented in the future? This should be documented and reviewed with all staff to help prevent it happening again. (With your name and the names of the patients left out).

Feeling bad about the mistake is natural and indicates that you care about what kind of a job you're doing. Letting go of it can be a challenge, but if you focus on the things that go wrong and not on anything else, those feelings will persist longer.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ! yeah no issues with patients since I caught it later but just discouraged, and yeah its much easier to focus on negatives

Comment

Hello Safari Dan and welcome. As AJ has indicated when we focus on what went wrong in a day, rather than the whole day,it can be a) discouraging and b) lead us to future similar problems. Of course saying that and correcting our feelings when we make a mistake are two entirely different things, easy to say, hard to do.

For myself, I try to focus on three things 1)Nobodies perfect, it's human nature to have off days and make mistakes 2) I try to tell myself that I do a good job overall , perhaps even a better job than some. 3) That I have a bad illness that sometimes gives me problems with concentration and while I have to try and be extra vigilante because of my illness, that doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Please feel free to ask more questions, answer other people's questions, post articles and/or use this forum to vent out a few of life's frustrations. Sometimes venting is healthy for us. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
        X