Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with your suggestions for my mental depression recovery

Hi,

Last few months, I have been mentally depressed because of the pressure in my job. I don’t know what to do. First I thought, it would be just a feeling. But, for the past couple of weeks I was not able to sleep at night. I am totally tired in my body. I am so down that, I can’t concentrate in my job. Everything I do get me wrong. Actually, I have never faced a similar situation like this before. I fear that I would be penalised for the mistakes I am committing in my job due to the lack of concentration. Can someone help me out? Is there any chance of recovery from this situation? If so, kindly share those which would be a great help for me.

Two days before, I was able to read an article which gives some solutions for the problems in the job. It suggests to keep a positive and realistic attitude towards life. It also advises to have more sleep try meditation as well. It also suggests to keep a journal http://www.drmtherapy.com/blog/stres...work-and-home/ which was a new informative thing for me. How can a journal keep us away from stress? Is it possible? Have anyone done it? If so, sharing of your suggestions will be of much use. Also suggest your methods for a fast recovery.

Thanks in advance

Good morning CecilWood and welcome to the forum.

Also suggest your methods for a fast recovery.
    Recovery from depression is usually not a fast process. It is very possible to recover from it and be well again, but I've never seen that process happen quickly.

It sounds like you're under a lot of stress at work which is probably contributing to your depression. The lack of concentration, lack of sleep, and depressed mood are making your job difficult. I can relate to such difficulties at work. I'm sorry to hear that you are going thru this.

The first thing I would start with, if you haven't already is to have a checkup with your doctor. Tests can be done to make sure you are not suffering from a physical condition such as low iron or low thyroid that can cause a depressed mood.

Medication has made a difference for me. I probably wouldn't be alive today without it. It is a long process finding a drug that works that you can tolerate, but it is worth the effort.

Some people find seeing a councilor helpful. I am glad that I found someone that I could talk to about what was going on for me.

Some people find journaling helpful. I have done this on and off over the years.

A referral to a physiatrist for a proper diagnosis and treatment is something to consider, although I know that the wait times to see one are long. I suffered a lot for the first few years of misdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment.

Know that you are not alone and that it is possible to be well again. My life is much better now then it has been in the past.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello CecilWood and welcome. AJ makes some good suggestions so I will cover a little different area. While the problem may be your job, what often happens is as we have small failures we begin to build up anxieties. As those anxieties build they can cause major interference in our lives and often lead to bouts of severe depression. CBT can be very helpful in this area and CBT and medications is often the best route to go The link you gave to a website is a not a bad one, she is trying to sell her services, which may be very good, but I'm sure are also very expensive. If you have a health plan at work some of the services or all of the services may be covered.

If money or insurance coverage is a problem you may want to try the out patient clinic at CAMH ( a large teaching hospital in Toronto) http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/care_..._programs.aspx , the MDAO has a series of videos called Working Through It. https://www.mooddisorders.ca/program...ing-through-it and they also have a fact sheet that may be helpful https://www.mooddisorders.ca/faq/anx...mood-disorders . They also have a variety of programs from drop in to ones that you have to register for, but they are all free. http://www.mooddisorders.ca/programs...to_one=Toronto

If you have more suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi CecilWood,

Welcome, of course.

Your first paragraph describes my situation in 2013 to a "T". One of the first things I found out was that the stress had been building for years. To undo years of damage rarely can be done quickly and recovery is more about change rather than erasing the symptoms. My employer fortunately had a compassionate health care policy, but the road to recovery may be somewhat more difficult than first imagined.

No two situations are alike and my resolve may be quite different from what may apply to you. I retired early and while I am able to function, there still are situations I must avoid. My wife recognizes the pattern and she will warn me that I am slipping into what she calls " manager mode".

I ultimately went through two stress leaves nearly back to back. The attempt to rehabilitate did not return me to my former position, however it had a positive influence that I maintain to this day. CBT has been a big part of this. Drugs were administered and likely were helpful in staving off the worst of the depression, however I found the side effects to be as intolerable as the initial symptoms. So much to the point that I felt they added to my depression. By choice, I do without and I will tell you that is risky.

One of the more helpful practices may be journalling. I was skeptical at first, but I have amassed a journal the size of a small novel. Subjects range from memories to world events. A journal is much more than a record of what you ate for breakfast. I often read back in my journal and discover that today's struggle has already been dealt with.I do not journal every day and sometimes I binge.

​​​​​​​I wish you well with your journey.

Comment

Welcome to the forums CecilWood. I'm sorry to hear that you are depressed, and as someone who has been there I can empathize with having it affect my job. I found that a lot depended on who (whom?) I was working with, not so much the actual work. So I took out a few library books on dealing with difficult people and that helped to a degree. I also found a counselor and a self help group, which were life savers.

Regarding journaling, it is one of the most helpful "tools" in my toolbox for depression.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I find that just to put things out in writing, where I can see them in black and white, brings some relief from troubling emotions. It also gives me some perspective on the situation, and ideas about what to do (or not do). I also journal during the good times, and it's nice to go back and read those entries over, which reminds me that the bad times will pass and life will be good again (even if it doesn't seem like it at the time). Because, truly, it will be good again.

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
          X