Memory Loss - Depression/Anxiety -Concussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Loss - Depression/Anxiety -Concussion

Newbie here! Hoping to get some insight into the memory loss I have been experiencing. I was diagnosed with depression after my second child was born in 2002. I have had many breakdowns through the years, which I have had to take time off work to deal with. Last summer I suffered a concussion falling out of our sunroom 2.5 feet into concrete. I did not lose counscisness, but was off work doing nothing for 2 weeks. I have started to lose hours in my day where I don't remember what I did, and I also have been having at least 2 minor panic attack a day, and about 4 major per week. I am currently on antidepressants and a sleeping pill. I have been reading as much as I can on losing memory with depression and anxiety, but i am a at a point where I feel like I am losing my mind. I see a psychiatrist every few months to get a renewal, but things have spiralled so much in the past 2 months of memory loss that I don't know what to do? Is there anyone out there that has dealth with this? Please help!

thanks for reading ❤

Welcome to the forum Lee27. The memory loss sounds scary.

It might be worthwhile seeing the psychiatrist sooner than later to reassess the medication you are currently taking. Some medication can make memory loss worse.

A full work up by your family doctor would be a good idea if it hasn't been done.

Have you had a full neurological workup by a neurologist? What is happening to you is not ok. That might be something to look at. It is a place to start to rule out a neurological cause to your memory loss.

There are so many things that can cause memory loss, physical and mental, sometimes it's a process of elimination.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Lee27 and welcome. I know how scary it can be to have those memory losses and you have my sympathy. AJ is correct about having the shrink reassess your medications. Panic attacks and depression can certainly cause memory loss, so can some medications.

I have bipolar and I don't know if it or the medications caused some serious gaps in my memory. Some of the gaps occurred before I started taking medication, but for a while after I started taking certain medications some gaps are were more noticeable. Also whenever my illness flared up, my memory got far worse sometimes.

For me some of my getting a better memory involved working with the docs to change my medications and some of it was getting the illness under control.

A concussion can cause problems down the road. I had one a number of yrs back (well I have had several) and the worse symptoms occurred far down the road(like 2 yrs after) . No doctor could pin point that the concussion(s) caused my problems, but they all advised that they probably didn't help. However your psychiatrist should be told about the concussion. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions, answer other people's questions and/or use this forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Lee 27; My first question for you is what are the medications you are taking ???. Lots of mental health meds can alter memory. Memories both long and short term are accessed through the temporal lopes in the brain. The Hypocampus is another every important part for the brain for memories. They both work together but the Hypocampus is the storage hub, or what we call the subconscious mind.

My next question is did you start losing memories short and long term after your fall. If so please see your GP ASAP about a MRI brain scan to insure no damage and we can rule it out . The human brain has the equivalent malleability of scrambled eggs.

Buddy Mack.
        "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello! Ended up in the ER with another memory loss episode. When I arrived, I had no idea on how I got there...but I was a mess. Memory loss, tingly arms and I honestly thought I was having a stroke. Many exams later, nothing showed up, except that my balance is way off, shakiness and my memory came back as to how I got there. I drove!
          I have a referral to a neurologist, and I am following up with my doctor today. I have been off work since Monday.
          In thinking about when this started I remembered that my psychiatrist prescribed Zoplicone 5mgs, to take in addition to my 15 mg of Nitrazepam for my horrible sleeping problem. In reading about the Zoplicone, things that have been happening to me may be related? I also take 75mg of Effexor. I have been on the Nitrazepam and Effexor for years, and have never had this issue. Could it be possible that the Zoplicine has completely messed me up?

Thanks fior for your support ❤

Comment

It's possible that it's the zopiclone. I take 7.5 each evening and anything that happens between the time I took it and the time I fell asleep is a blackout for me. People have phoned me and I don't remember it. I have read novels only to have to reread the pages the next day. It's not a big deal for me because it's only about 20 mins before I turn of the lights but it's possible that you are reacting differently to the drug. Everyone's response to medication is unique. I must say I feel for you with the memory loss as I have lost a considerable amount of my past from ECT. They said it would only affect my short term memory but that wasn't the case. It can be embarrassing at times and even hurtful to my children because I have no memory of some things that meant a lot to them as they were growing up. I wish you all the best in your search for answers. Please keep us posted.

Neli

Comment

Lee27 I'm glad you're seeing a neurologist. It would rule out other causes to your memory loss. He or she can also do neuropsych testing to get an idea of the kind and extent of memory loss.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

St. Michael hosptial is doing a study on depression and concussions. The lead researcher may be a great person to talk to about this.

Comment

Welcome to the forums TallPine Tree.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                  X