Holiday Fall-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Fall-Out

Has anyone else felt good for several months and really enjoyed the holidays, but then experience depression symptoms? I don't know if it is just an after the holidays blues or if it is the start of the depression symptoms returning. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist in a few weeks and I will talk to him about it. My boyfriend is pretty good at monitoring my symptoms and will relay information to both me and my support team. He is pretty easy to talk to and doesn't judge my thoughts (and behaviours). Anyways I was just curious if people had similar experiences after the holidays.

Hello Laurie23. The actual holidays are usually pretty good for me. I have some problems with anxiety during the pre holiday festive season, but other than the actual party or pre Christmas suppers I sail right along and usually enjoy the festive season. Heck I even enjoy the endless Christmas carols being played everywhere LOL.

Like you I tend to slump after Christmas and I don't know why. Over the years I have found no magic remedy to counter act this slump. My slump tends to be slow and gradual so what works for me may not work for you. I find that if I keep in mind that I've always gotten over the slumps in the past it helps. It also helps if I start examining my life style. For example, how much am I sleeping, what am I eating, am I getting out and getting some exercise etc . If I let it, it , the slump can turn into full blown depression, although this usually takes a couple of mths for me.

One thing I know for sure is that I'm going to have to be extra careful this year. I've had a bout of poor physical health and the weather has been brutally cold so I haven't gotten out for my daily walks nor done much around the house. The combo tends to lower my moods a lot. However as I said, I know that it all will pass and even this cold will eventually give way to just normal cold and I'll get out again. Plus I have to push myself a bit to get off the couch and do something, even if it's only going for a walk in the mall. So you are not alone in your post season dips. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

What you described around Christmas sounds identical to what I felt around Christmas this year. This has been the best Christmas I have had in a long time and the past 4-6 months have been good months too (the longest I have been stable in a long time). I really appreciate your ideas and I think you are right. Trying to stick to my routine and making sure that I sleep enough, eat and get outdoors (even though it is also really cold) as well as watching for big changes. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X