Stopping Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Lithium

I want to stop taking my lithium. It makes me get up in the night to pee too many times.
    Has anyone weened themselves off of lithium? Is there a replacement to it instead?
    Id like to sleep through the night for a change!!

Hello George. I've stopped taking lithium rapidly many times over the years due to having the flu or the runs. The premise being if I can't keep liquid in and I'm getting dehydrated then lithium is not the best thing for me at that time as lithium can turn toxic in a hurry if you get dehydrated. Whenever I've quit taking it suddenly due to circumstance it left me with a mild headache for a few days. In regards to replacement, there is not much out there that I have found works as well as lithium.

There are lot's of options, lithium just happens to work best for me. . When I had to change I ended up taking zyprexa.

I can't say how quitting lithium will affect you, your pharmacist can advise you best as everyone is different. In regards to replacement, your doctor would be the one to talk with.

As I age I end up getting up to go to the washroom many times and I'm not even on lithium any more! So I know how irritating it is. Personally I use a good quality large water bottle with a good seal. It may sound slightly (or a lot) weird, but at least I don't have to wake right up and tramp into the washroom. The water bottle washes up easily enough and I get a better night's sleep. I just pretend I'm in the hospital LOL. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
    X