Thoughts on Deep Brain Stimulation for Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Deep Brain Stimulation for Treatment

I have been suffering from severe chronic depression since I was 12. Treatment was finally started when I was about 22 and we have been through all medications and medication combinations that my psychiatrist could throw at me. Have been through ECT and also the Comprehensive Psychiatric Care program at Homewood Health Centre. I have been treatment resistant and we are down to waiting for the next new medication to hit the market and hope it works.

We are also looking at getting a psychiatric service dog (PSD) as my health care team fully believes it will make a difference but to get one already trained is $25k, so I am searching for a mature dog and then take it through the training with a personal trainer which would be less expensive.

The other treatment that my psychiatrist is pushing for is called Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) It was originally used for people with Parkinson's and has gone through trials for use with depression. It is an open brain surgery where they connect two neural transmitters to the section of the brain that releases the proper chemicals. Two wires are connected to the neural transmitters and the wires are run down the neck under the skin to a device in the chest under the skin as well. The device sends small electrical charges to the brain throughout the day.

It just seems so extreme and my fear is that it doesn't work and then I am stuck with this device in me or something happens with the wire connectivity and causes harm. However, at the same time, the depression is getting worse. I am walking a tightrope between life and death most days and the suicidal thoughts and urges are strong and daily I am just lacking the ability to follow through. I am heavily medicated for the anxiety as the anxiety has been out of control and pushes the suicidal urges and ability to follow through.

Just looking to hear other peoples thoughts about taking the step and doing the DBS. I will be talking to my psychiatrist in September and hopefully get some Q&A done about the treatment and at the very least get a consult with the doctor performing the DBS for additional information.
    Your Mental Health and Wellness
    https://yourmentalhealthwellness.com/

Hello rbailey83. You have some tough choices ahead of you. I don't know anything about DBS, but if it was me and nothing else had worked I would at least investigate it. I would probably try electric shock first as it has had some good results and while not perfect is less invasive. Good Luck with your decision. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hello rbailey83, and welcome. Thanks for sharing.

I've heard of DBS but know little about it myself. I think that for any kind of treatment, a lot depends on having a trusting relationship with your psychiatrist. It sounds like you're doing your homework by asking questions, which generally pays off. I believe that the more information we have, the better decisions we can make.

I've never heard of a psychiatric service dog, but it sounds like it may have potential. I hope you get a chance to try that out.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forums rbailey83
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
          Hello rbailey83. You have some tough choices ahead of you. I don't know anything about DBS, but if it was me and nothing else had worked I would at least investigate it. I would probably try electric shock first as it has had some good results and while not perfect is less invasive. Good Luck with your decision. Take Care. paul m
          Thanks paul. Yeah the choices are tough but so is the situation I am in. I have tried ECT but without success. That was tried much earlier on in my treatment because of how bad things were. Looking back to the past and where I am now there have been some improvements but just not enough to want me to stay here, Day by day is all I can do and using the coping strategies I have learned over the years. I am also going to do a day hospital program they have at the hospital in my town. I did it once but that was when it first started and I'm sure things have changed and it will be a good refresher for the things I should be doing and practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
            Hello rbailey83, and welcome. Thanks for sharing.

I've heard of DBS but know little about it myself. I think that for any kind of treatment, a lot depends on having a trusting relationship with your psychiatrist. It sounds like you're doing your homework by asking questions, which generally pays off. I believe that the more information we have, the better decisions we can make.

I've never heard of a psychiatric service dog, but it sounds like it may have potential. I hope you get a chance to try that out.
            Thanks uni. I hadn't heard of a psychiatric service dog either until my psychiatrist brought it up but everyone in my health team believes it will make a big difference so I am hoping to find a mature dog sooner rather than later that I can start that training with.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Welcome to the forums rbailey83
              Hey AJ, thank you for the welcome. Trying new things that may be helpful to me and hopefully I can offer some help to others as well from my own experiences.

Comment

A neurologist answers questions about deep brain stimulation. The video of the man with Parkinson's disease with the device turned on and off is like day and night

Comment

Working...
                X