Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck in a limbo, depression med work but relapse. Has anyone else gone through this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in a limbo, depression med work but relapse. Has anyone else gone through this?

Okay here's my problem and I don't really know where exactly and who exactly to reach out for for the help .It's one of those things similar to the cure for cancer which none of humanity has. But thanks to the advancement of science I have come so far up here. I am suffering from chronic depression or I don't know what to call it -since most of my recollectable life. The symptoms are same as depression though .

So once in a while , an antidepressant works and I am all fine(venlaflaxine and trintellix out of about 20 ssri,snri,trycyclic,etc) ,beyond fine even .I achieve zen mode. This is not the same being high or extra active or extrovert . I dont become aggressive or anything like the maniac phase .Just that I become super nice and super intelligent and super communicative sort of way and it's like I get the root access to my mind and I can control it . Then , the effect starts to fade as I can distinctly perceive the day-by-day changes in hormone as my perception, memory(most important) mood and processing power slowly decreases .

Now I know this can be fixed. I know there is one hormone or a combination of it that is changing by the time . I just need someone to perform tests and analyse the levels. So once I know the root cause ,I can take the exact medication instead of trying to trial-error a bunch of them which takes a hell lot of time .Any one has seen/face/experienced this and found out the root cause ? I am asking the experts here .Please help out. If you can fix this /your suggestion works out ,mind me ,you will be duly rewarded .

Hi Max,

I know what you are feeling because I go through similar struggles. I am on my third anti depressant in the past year to help me "even out" and I too experience the same drops in effect. It's very frustrating and I seek answers as well. The problem is that the more I try and get the answer and control the emotions I am feeling, the more I suffer from them.

I am trying a new therapist and group at church. Focussing on a different kind of therapy than what I am used to (ACT). Also revisiting my meds with my doctor will also help, even though the process will constantly be changing.

I guess I am trying to say that I am trying to accept that my depression is painful and inevitable, however the suffering I feel is optional.

I am no expert. I still struggle every day with chronic depression and it wreaks havoc on my life and those around me. Just hoping to offer a little bit of help to you.

"We cannot control the wind. We can only adjust the sails"
    - Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks resilient1 , it gives me immense relief just knowing that there is someone going through the same thing. I share the same exact controlling-the-emotions experience too . Just so i am not missing out, do you know if the trial process on each anti-depressant could be hastened a bit cause 2 months for an anti-depressant is too long a wait especially when you know the med is not gonna work out just 2 weeks after taking it? Also may I know what 3 anti-depressants have you been on that worked, if you are comfortable sharing ? Thanks just for reaching out.It matters so much to me.

Comment

I have been thru the roller coaster ride of medication combinations. After much effort and hardship, I am on a combination that I can tolerate and actually help. Sometimes the dose needs to be tweaked, but so far, all has gone well.

I did not wait 2 months before switching things up if things weren't going well. Depending on the drug, I could tell within the first 2 to 4 weeks if I was getting enough of a positive response to persist with any given combination before making some kind of change.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi again Max,

I am glad you got something from my reply. I am new to this forum and haven't contributed very much.

I have been on various doses of Paxil, Trintellix and Zoloft in the past year with Zoloft having the best results. I am not sure if the process can be sped up, but I had the same experience as AJ. I needed only a few weeks before I knew whether the prescription was the right one. It also helped that I listened to the people closest to me to let me know if it was working or not. It can be hard to notice a difference in your own behaviour while you are adjusting. As well as dealing with all your emotions and side effects.

I have found that lately the script I am on has not been as effective as it was 6 months ago. I am planning on revisiting it with my doctor soon. I'm guessing that I am going to have to continue monitoring it and realizing that the results can change regularly..

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hello Max and welcome. I have bipolar and like about 30% of people with bipolar I can't take antidepressants as they either male me manic and/or mixed states. It took a number of years for me to figure that out and docs were of little help in the matter. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

I can relate Paul. I responded so well to some of the antidepressants I was prescribed, until I became manic that is! They're off my list of drug cocktails.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
              X