Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to hear from you

Hello,
    I am new to this group, and i apologize if my question is one asked already in the past. Also, sorry for the long message. To provide some context, I am a 59 yr old male who is generally healthy but have struggled all my life with anxiety and depression; I took benzodiazepines for many years to manager the anxiety but have been off them now for about 17 years. Very proud of that. I have also taken an SSRI on more than one occasion to help with my depression. They worked, but I have been functional without them, and found they were a double edged sword in my case because they made me put on weight and had other nasty side effects like ***ual dysfunction. But as I get older, I am finding that managing the depression is becoming more difficult, anxiety too. My anxiety is really around health and impending death from cancer. Now, to my question.....
    The past year has been a horrendous year from a stress perspective on multiple fronts 1. My mom was placed in a residence with a degenerative disease; i see her deteriorate weekly. She was such a proud and autonomous woman only a few years ago.I now have to treat her as if she was a child. Her impending death and deterioration is aching my heart. 2. Three weeks ago, I had to euthanize my best friend, a dog whom I shared almost 13 years with. She was a very wise and spiritual dog. Her absence has hit me very hard as I underestimated how my heart would react. 3. The job is like every other job, full of worry from re-org, etc etc. 4. Finally, I had one of those moments where i "woke up" and realized I am about to turn 60. . With all that wisdom, come other issues, mainly health as you would imagine in my case. I am full of questions about whether I did the right things health-wise in my youth. Did i exercise enough? Did I drink too much? etc etc
    So the question now (seriously)....it's been about a month, closely aligned to the death of my dog, that I have been having widespread digestive issues. These include nausea, lack of appetite, indigestion, bowel changes, gurgling, burning etc etc. I am trying to work through the public medical system to rule out a serious organic disease, but it's taking forever to even see a GP. During this time I have lost some weight and also find myself crying, or easily wanting cry. I have lost interest in many things I enjoyed. Can someone in this forum tell me if they have had serious digestive issues as a result of depression and/or anxiety, and how long this persisted? It's a catch 22; is the depression causing the symptoms, or are the symptoms scaring me and driving my anxiety and depression? I know your answers and possible reassurances are not a diagnosis, but i am curious to see if i am alone in this. I cannot exclude the fact that I am 59 and things happen at this age such as cancer. Thanks for reading this far.
    Double T
    Last edited by Double T; March 1, 2019, 11:41 AM.

Hello Double T and welcome. You are correct that many physical symptoms can be caused by a depressive illness and/or the medications used to treat it. As you said you are also at the age for physical problems to become more prevalent. Unfortunately I can only tell you to follow up on the physical symptoms. Sorry I don't have more info.

Please feel free to ask more questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forums to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Double T and welcome to the forums. Be persistent as you navigate thru the medical system. Our bodies really are the temple of all that we are as beings. That includes the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of our being. Nothing happens in isolation. Our physical health can be affected by our emotional and spiritual states, and vs versa.

Having loved ones who are unwell, and grieving the loss of a precious four legged family member are not easy to deal with.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I have irritable bowel syndrome, was diagnosed with it before fibromyalgia in 1989. Many of the symptoms you describe I have. If I have a regular bowel movement I want to shout yippee. Much of the IBS is caused by nothing. It just is. I used to get horrible pain, but cut out dairy.
        I am also 59 and understand the downfall of antidepressants, also took a variety for 17 years and quit because of side effects, being inorgasmic, female version of impotent.
        Don't know if any of this helps. I first post on this forum.

Comment

Working...
        X