Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Husband trying to quit Cipralex, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husband trying to quit Cipralex, advice?

Hi there,

My husband was diagnosed with anxiety/depression last year and has been on Cipralex 15mg. He feels it's time to get off the medication and started lowering his dose 4 months ago by 2.5mg and is now down 5mg. He does experience some withdrawal symptoms like agitation, insomnia, headaches every time he lowers the dose. Now I think he should be at 5mg for at least 3 weeks before cutting down to 2.5mg. Is that a good idea? Also he should stay on 2.5 for maybe another 3 weeks before quitting fully? I just hope that won't result in terrible withdrawal symptoms a few days after quitting.

Any thoughts would be helpful. No previous experience with antidepressants.

Thank you

Hi Spira and welcome to the forum. I would recommend he talk with his pharmacist.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Welcome to the forum Spira. I'm wondering how your husband is making out with the meds. Okay, I hope. As someone who has had big time troubles going off and on medications, tapering etc. I'm a believer in doing it under the supervision of a doctor. Pharmacists are great resource people too, as AJ mentioned, often know more about a particular medication than doctors. In any case, med alterations are different for everybody, it's a very individual thing.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I'm curious to know how your husband is doing with trying to quit Cipralex, hopefully I'm not too late on this older post.

I'm on the path of quitting Cipralex and today is day 3 without ANY! I've been on Cipralex for many years (I used it mostly for anxiety) but realize now is the right time to get off of it. I tapered down from 20mg, to 10mg to 5mg to nothing over about 1-1/2 months. I'm currently feeling okay, just dizziness and some mild ***ual dysfunction which I'm hoping will get back to normal in time. I did have nausea and upset stomach for a week or so but that went away.

All in all not too bad really....but I want to detail why I think I'm ready to quite Cipralex, I've prepared for this day:

1) I'm currently at 1-1/2 years sober.
        2) I've been eating very healthy (reduced meat intake, more plant based).
        3) I go to the gym 2 times a week + ice hockey 2 times a week.
        4) I take a wide range of vitamins.
        5) I get really good sleeps (exercise helps with good sleeps)
        6) I limit caffeine, 1 regular coffee but then cup 2 and 3 are decaf.
        7) I'm now a lot more spiritual.
        8) I continue with counselling and AA for mindfulness.
        9) My new job isn't as stressful as a few previous ones.

The Cipralex helped when I was deep in a hole but I dug myself out and feel I don't need it anymore, I'm using every natural method possible to combat my anxiety.

I'm curious to read about other peoples journey with quitting Cipralex.

Regards,
        Dack.
        Last edited by Guest; November 26, 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Hello Dack and welcome to the forum. I never had any problems when I quit cipralex, but then I was only on it for 2 mths. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
          X