Celexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celexa

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and am having my second episode of major depression. Last time was many years ago and it was also a time of great stress. So it’s been about a month of citalopram and I’m feeling much better but I’m still sleeping a lot and my energy level is still low. I guess that’s normal but what is a good time frame to expect to be much better? I dont really remember my last episode time frame and it was a different drug. Thanks for your time.

Hi Rosey and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your second episode of major depression. It sounds like you are getting some relief from Citalopram. With that particular drug a person should start to feel somewhat better after a couple of weeks. Often a full response to the drug can take 4 to 6 weeks, especially if it was started at a lower dose. It is worthwhile discussing this with your doctor. I don't know what dose you're on, you may need an increase in dose, or a bit more time on the drug.

How are your sleep habits? Do you go to bed and get up about the same time every day? Any evening caffeinated beverages? Sometimes we can get into the habit of varying bedtime, especially when a restful sleep, in spite of fatigue, is an issue.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. I am away from my new home for another bit of time. I went to a walk-in clinic and don’t have a family doctor at this point. I’m thinking I will go to Toronto where I used to live to see if I can get my old family dr I had before moving across country. Because I don’t have any health issues I don’t think I’ll ever get one in the small town I moved to.

So my max dose is to be 20mg but I have been taking 10mg so I have enough drug until I get back home and I thought that it may help me to adjust to the drug too. The script was to take 10mg for 2 was then 20mg but as I said just stayed with the 10mg. Insomnia was a side effect so I take in the morning. I have no other side effects.

With sleep I was sleeping 12-16 hrs a night but am now sleeping about 10. My normal sleep pattern is 7-9 hrs a night. I only drink black tea which has caffeine butI dont drink it in the evening and don’t feel any effect from caffeine. I’m trying not to nap but did the other day for 3 hrs! I used to go to sleep at about 10 but it’s been all over the place the last few weeks. I sometimes won’t go to bed till midnight or go at about 10 and stay awake but sometimes sleep and then wake at 5 and go back to sleep an hour later. I just retired from working so don’t have a reason to get up at the moment.
      Last edited by Rosey; September 13, 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Rosey. I understand your frustration trying to get a doctor, especially in a small town. I'm having the same issue.

I know when I retired I had to decide to have regular routine for going to bed and getting up. Of course my dog will only wait so long for her walk!

Adjusting doses of meds is best done under a supervision of a doctor. This is sometimes a challenge, as in your case. A chat with a pharmacist might be helpful.

10mg of Celexa for most people is a bit on the low side. Usually people end up on 20mg. However, you don't want to run out of drug. Is there some sort of clinic, or hospital emerg in your small town you can go to? We have one family doc clinic here. I can't get in as a regular patient, but they will see me to renew my meds ( I see a psychiatrist in the city for my psych meds.). I'm waiting for a new doc to come in January.
        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for your reply, AJ. I started my 20 mg today and will go to the walk-in clinic here to renew my script so I don’t have to worry about running out. The doc I saw had suggested that I get bloodwork done when I get home to rule out thyroid or iron problems so will do that when I get home as well. I hope I can get my old family doc again and I feel it will be worth the travel just to have consistency with my health care over time.

I had a nurse practioner (NP) before my recent move and was more than happy with her care. She could prescribe anything except Ativan (controlled substances) when I needed it but she simply made an appointment with one of the doctors at the clinic so I could get the Ativan. I tried to get another NP in my small town but they have wait lists in the hundreds too and people with health conditions get 1st option for care which makes sense but means I will always be at the bottom of the list.

Just this past week I have been able to force myself to get out for a short walk and have an interest in my hobbies again. So that feels better. I think you are right about regular sleep patterns so have set my alarm for 8 hrs of sleep and it feels ok. Yesterday I just had to nap but set my alarm for 1 hr and I think that may work out ok.

Thanks again and good luck getting a primary care physician.

Comment

You're welcome Rosey. I think a visit to the walk in clinic is a good idea.

Low thyroid hormone and low iron levels can both contribute to fatigue and a depressed mood. It's good to eliminate them as factors in the equation.

Unfortunately a shortage of health care workers means there are 'lists'. I have been at the bottom of some of those. Although I understand why, it is frustrating. Our health care system is still very much reactive care rather than preventive health care.

Walks are my life line. I have a great 4 legged companion to accompany me. It is grounding to feel the ground under my feet and breathe in some of that fresh country morning air.

I have my fingers crossed that I will get a family doctor in January. Thanks

AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I am feeling some some nausea but it is short lived and definitely have to nap but I do set the alarm. Hopefully this will pass soon but I’m already feeling better which makes me happy. I am currently on the Atlantic Ocean and have not been able to enjoy until this past week or so. Just been so depressed but today I went and took photos of the windy stormy ocean. The fresh air feels really good to breath. Nature is my go to feel good place. I don’t have any pets but have been feeding the blue jays. I love watching them and feel I’m contributing to them surviving a cold long winter here.

Comment

If I was on the Atlantic ocean, I'd have my head in a bucket. No sea legs here.

I'm glad you got to take some pictures.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Rosey,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing depression once again. I think AJ made some good points about a regular sleep pattern - I find getting up at the same time every morning gives me a structure to build my day around. Going to bed at the same time seems less important to me - I usually go when I get sleepy.

If I have understood correctly, you have moved recently? That can be pretty hard on moods... as can retirement - so much change!! I have had to move around a lot the last few years, along with it I have had to change jobs... my mood has suffered. Fell into a deep depression last fall and am still struggling. With Fall just around the corner too... SAD symptoms usually start mid-October for me.

Hope you are feeling better soon and that you get the treatment you need. Say 'hi' to the ocean for me!

Take care,
                  Kaight

Comment

Hello, Kaight. Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, moving and changes in jobs is difficult. I had planned to enjoy the beginning of my retirement but not all plans come into fruition. Lol. I did too much in a short time frame. I have had other bouts of depression too. I would find it helpful to absorb myself in my job which was always a needed break from my worried life. Needless to say I did not have work to escape to and dealing with the loss of family members and intense grief just took the wind out of my sails.

Also, it was so bad that I just did not have the energy to do all the self care stuff I have done in the past or to even to talk to someone about it. But being here and having to take care of the family home stuff and moving back into the family home, gave me no choice but to drag myself out of bed to the Dr. I’m so glad the medication is starting to work. To be honest I would not be able to work now either.

Im ok with being on medication for my quality of life to improve. My daughter who has had postpartum depression was angry with me for taking medication. She has taken an antidepressant herself and does need to use Ativan too at times, but I was always there as her rock and I thought she was having a hard time thinking I would not be as there for her as I have been. After more talking it out she was afraid I was shortening my life by taking medication and afraid I would die sooner because of it.

Sorry to talk about morbid stuff but had to get that off my chest. She is ok with it totally now though and knows that I know what’s best for me. She lost her dad a couple of years ago too. Life can be hard sometimes.

I did say hello to the ocean for you, Kaight....it sends you waves of peace.

I hope this Fall it is easier for you.
                    Last edited by Rosey; September 20, 2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X