New here. Feeling lost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here. Feeling lost.

Struggling with depression, anxiety and stress. I use medical marijuana but tend to start abusing it too much when things get tough. I always feel like I shouldnt be depressed or stressed or anxious but I can help it and its starting to take a toll on me. Sometime I think I just need to talk to someone and get things off my chest but therapy is crazy expensive and I don't want to burden friends or family with my problems.
    Last edited by OILERFAN; September 17, 2019, 04:27 PM.

I should add that I have tried multiple anxiety and depression medications. They side effects from those drugs make me feel worse so I never stick with them. The only one that has ever worked is Ativan but thats only an occasional use drug or its very addictive.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Oilerfan!

Sorry to hear you're struggling as of late. It can be a rough disease. I know from first hand experience.

This forum is a great place to vent should you feel the desire. You'll find lots of like minded people who have been through a lot themselves.

So feel free to share what you wish. The forums aren't always super active, but people do check in from time to time.

Take care.

Go Flames! (Sorry I'm a Flames fan, I had to )
      Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Comment

Hi Oilerfan and welcome to the forums. Are there any support groups in your area? Some people find them helpful.

The CMHA chapter in your area might have some information for you about resources in the area.

I know how much this illness can rob from us, but I believe it is possible to have a good life in spite of it.

(Sorry but I'm a Flames fan too!)
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Being an Oiler fan in its self can be depressing. I know cause I’m one of them. Lol. No worries, it can’t rain forever.

My family doc got me a psychiatrist and a therapist through Alberta health care so no expense out of my pocket. Maybe yours could do the same for you.

Comment

Hello Oilerfan, I’m new too and have just started a new medication I have not used before. I’m finding it helpful and am having some side effects but my understanding is that these will fade in a short time as my body adjusts. I totally understand about not wanting to burden friends and family and quite often they don’t get it anyway.

If I were in your shoes I would try a med that I have not tried before. If your GP refers you to a psychiatrist it is covered by health insurance I believe and the psychiatrist can also refer you to a therapist which is covered as well then...I think.

You can refer yourself to a local mental health clinic (no charge) but this may depend on the province.

I was covered for 80% of a therapist through my work insurance and she charged me a social worker rate versus counseller rate which was less expensive to me. I have found social worker therapists to be good too. They are trained as therapists too with a masters degree and additional training usually and are less expensive than psychologists.

Then to make it even more challenging, you have to find one that is a good fit for you too, otherwise it does not work well. I have found only one or two that just did not fit for me but the rest were great. Some psychologists will consider a sliding scale and in the past it has been worth the money to just pay out of pocket for me to get some relief.

Is an oilerfan a new kind of fan.....haha.....I would rather do crafts than watch sports....except for figure skating.

Comment

I just remembered that I also had seen two different psychotherapist GP’s. These are general physicians who are practicing as psychotherapists and are covered under OHIP. This was in Toronto so am thinking a major city may be where you would find one and I’m not sure if there are any in other provinces.

Comment

Welcome Oilerfan,

Talking to someone is great idea - all the better if they are not your family or friends - with a therapist you can be 100% honest. (It feels good to be honest.) And as Rosey said, family and friends often don't get it anyway.

Hope you find some relief soon,
                Kaight

Comment

Working...
                X