ECT: Anticipatory Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECT: Anticipatory Anxiety

I recently started electroconvulsive therapy.
    i’m not so afraid of what happens to me when I’m under anesthesia, but it’s the transition from being conscious to going unconscious scares me. I figured it out. It’s because I am losing ultimate control. I’m going from a wake state straight to a sleep state. I have severe depression and definitely need ECT, I just don’t know how to overcome this one obstacle. Visualization doesn’t work.

This is extremely logical to me (not enjoying losing control). I underwent ECT several years back and something I used to set my mind on every time I went under is how many seconds will it take for me to pass out this time. It is something easy and I found it interesting.This could be a distraction? Beyond that, I wish you all the best with your treatment. It is not an easy thing to go through. I hope you find it helpful.

Comment

I just want to thank you for taking the time out to respond to my posting. Yes, it is very difficult to go through this procedure, although some people find it easy. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

Comment

Welcome to the forum BCG78.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Yes, we do.

Comment

Working...
          X