• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression and huge panic after taking antibiotics

Hey everyone,
    Im here to share my story with you all.
    28 year old french Canadien, don’t laugh at my english =]

It all started 2 months ago.. I was at the restaurant with some friends. I started to have some huge pain at my stomach. I didn’t bother to much but after a few days it was to much so I wen’t to a clinic. The first doctor i saw Told me it was prob « stress » take some penthaprazol for a few weeks and you will be good.. Few days later, still with huge pain and i felt soo tired with 0 energy at all. I went to the ER and the doctor made pass 2 test. 1. For H.Pylori ( stomach bacteria ) 2. Mononucleosis.
    results: I tested positive for the stomach bacteria and my mononucleosis test was border line... uh ok? I have it or not. Soo the doctor gave me antibiotics for the stomach. He never told me annything about the side effects of these. In the first week i started to feel anxious, i was not sleeping well and i was feeling depressed. Then my nightmare started... i started to have panic attacks , i was feeling so sick so i went to ER again. I saw a psychiatrist. He said i was on a longtime depression and i was diagnosed with severe anxiety. I started to take Escitalopram 10mg with Ativan for anxiety. After a few days i was having bad side effects and we decided to stop the Escitalopram. He gave me Mirtazapine 7.5 mg to help me sleep and eat more because i lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I was feeling soooo anxious and sick that i couldn’t finish my antibiotics.. i had 2 days left. Those antibiotics burned my mouth, stomach pain, headache, dizziness, anxiety and depression. Now it been 2 weeks that i finished those antibiotics and I feel worst! I feel so depressed and i can’t leave my house without taking an ativan because i know il do a panik attack. Have annyone had a similar story? It all started with my treatment. Right now i feel sick and depressed. The doctor said it can take 4-6 weeks for the antidepressant to start to make effect. Mental health is so fragile......

nick

Hello Nickdas and welcome. My experiences are different than yours except for the fact that I too take Ativan when I'm going out. Not every time I go out just if I'm going to be in an area with lots of other people or if I'm going to see one of the assorted doc's that I have to see. There are other things too, like taking the car to a garage.(how much will it cost to fix as I'm on a tight budget etc) However for the most part the rest of my meds allow me to do a lot of things.Years ago I did become house bound for about 2 yrs. That continued until I found the right medications to control my depression and anxieties.

Being in a tight space can be as small as a living room full of people or as large as a hockey game. Things like that can send my mind into super anxiety land. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice on depression but sometimes we just have to keep trying different medications until we find what works.

Please use the forum to ask more questions, answer other people's questions or just use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum Nickdas.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Nickdas, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you've run into such trouble. It sounds pretty upsetting, not to mention painful. I myself don't know anyone who has suffered such side effects from antibiotics. I really wish I knew more and could help you. Are your doctor and psychiatrist aware of the reaction you had? Are you able to get an appointment to discuss it? It certainly sounds serious enough to address with them, so I hope you are able to.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello
          I feel for you, sounds like you are are getting the run around. The pills you were prescribed might be a problem. Hope you find a good Dr. to help you.
          Did you figure out what’s going on? How are you doing?
          Last edited by Cocoa; November 28, 2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

So sorry to hear about this whole mess that the doctors and all the pills they gave you create it to your life. Modern medicine has really added an extreme number of antibiotics to treat the simplest condition which can become really harmful for anyone in the long term! I was also feeling depressed a few years ago and I never even bothered visiting a psychiatrist as the only thing they are capable of, is filling you with pills. I recovered from this condition with natural ways so if you know where to buy kratom go for it I'll she'll also help you come back from all the negative side effects of the medication you were on.
            Last edited by Lisari; January 31, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdas View Post
              Hey everyone,
              Im here to share my story with you all.
              28 year old french Canadien, don’t laugh at my english =]

It all started 2 months ago.. I was at the restaurant with some friends. I started to have some huge pain at my stomach. I didn’t bother to much but after a few days it was to much so I wen’t to a clinic. The first doctor i saw Told me it was prob « stress » take some penthaprazol for a few weeks and you will be good.. Few days later, still with huge pain and i felt soo tired with 0 energy at all. I went to the ER and the doctor made pass 2 test. 1. For H.Pylori ( stomach bacteria ) 2. Mononucleosis.
              results: I tested positive for the stomach bacteria and my mononucleosis test was border line... uh ok? I have it or not. Soo the doctor gave me antibiotics for the stomach. He never told me annything about the side effects of these. In the first week i started to feel anxious, i was not sleeping well and i was feeling depressed. Then my nightmare started... i started to have panic attacks , i was feeling so sick so i went to ER again. I saw a psychiatrist. He said i was on a longtime depression and i was diagnosed with severe anxiety. I started to take Escitalopram 10mg with Ativan for anxiety. After a few days i was having bad side effects and we decided to stop the Escitalopram. He gave me Mirtazapine 7.5 mg to help me sleep and eat more because i lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I was feeling soooo anxious and sick that i couldn’t finish my antibiotics.. i had 2 days left. Those antibiotics burned my mouth, stomach pain, headache, dizziness, anxiety and depression. Now it been 2 weeks that i finished those antibiotics and I feel worst! I feel so depressed and i can’t leave my house without taking an ativan because i know il do a panik attack. Have annyone had a similar story? It all started with my treatment. Right now i feel sick and depressed. The doctor said it can take 4-6 weeks for the antidepressant to start to make effect. Mental health is so fragile......

nick
              Antibiotics lower the effectiveness of some medications. I believe this is the case with psychiatric meds, based on personal experience.

Comment

Nick I would suggest going back to the doctor or psychiatrist and let them know how you feel. I hope you are feeling better than previously mentioned. If you are taking the meds for two months plus and notice no difference I would definitely bring this up with the doctor.

Mocha231

Comment

Hey nickdas, not sure if you’re going to respond but I just wanted to ask if your depression and anxiety got better ? Similar thing happened to me as you. I was tested positive for h.pylori and while taking the antibiotics I started having anxiety and panic attacks. It’s been 4 months and i am still experiencing them. Just wanted to know if you had any tips.

Comment

Hi Player272636363 and welcome to the forums.
                    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                    for not being what they believe they should be.
                    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                    X