How to help my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to help my son

Hi, I am new to this. I have an adult son who lives with me and I know is very depressed. He has talked of ending his life. I am at a loss on where, what, how to even begin to help him. He also suffers from Anxiety, was diagnosed really young with OCD.

Hi Shiko,

Welcome. It's really tough as a parent to watch your child, including adult children, suffer. Two of my three kids, all young adults, suffer from serious mood disorders. Is he getting any treatment right now? How worried are you that he's currently considering suicide? If you're very worried, I'd talk to a health care pro who knows him, if he has one. If not, I'd consider taking him to your nearest ER if he'll agree.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Feel free not to answer them! I can't offer much help in terms of caring for a child with a mental illness, other than to say there are many of us in the same boat and, frankly, nobody has any perfect answers. There are lots of good websites and resources that give at least some guidance.

Comment

Hello and Welcome Shiko I have included a few links that may help. First a guide from MDAO on how to help someone with a mood disorder. https://mooddisorders.ca/guide/guide...-mood-disorder The next one is a list of support groups in B.C. Peer support groups can be a life saver as those of us with a mental illness can talk with people who have recovered as well as those who are still struggling. I credit peer support groups for at least 50% of my recovery. http://www.mdabc.net/mdabc-peer-support-groups and the 3rd link is a list of therapist who deal with OCD https://counsellingbc.com/counsellor...e-disorder-145 .

I don't know if he has a psychiatrist or not, but it would probably be better if he did. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Shiko and welcome to the forum.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrely View Post
          Hi Shiko,

Welcome. It's really tough as a parent to watch your child, including adult children, suffer. Two of my three kids, all young adults, suffer from serious mood disorders. Is he getting any treatment right now? How worried are you that he's currently considering suicide? If you're very worried, I'd talk to a health care pro who knows him, if he has one. If not, I'd consider taking him to your nearest ER if he'll agree.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Feel free not to answer them! I can't offer much help in terms of caring for a child with a mental illness, other than to say there are many of us in the same boat and, frankly, nobody has any perfect answers. There are lots of good websites and resources that give at least some guidance.
          Hi, thank you for response. No he won't admit that he has OCD. He will not talk, go and see anyone about anything. He doesn't even leave the house. The only thing he finally admitted to was he was really depressed and doesn't want to deal with life and should just end it. I will do some web searching thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
            Hello and Welcome Shiko I have included a few links that may help. First a guide from MDAO on how to help someone with a mood disorder. https://mooddisorders.ca/guide/guide...-mood-disorder The next one is a list of support groups in B.C. Peer support groups can be a life saver as those of us with a mental illness can talk with people who have recovered as well as those who are still struggling. I credit peer support groups for at least 50% of my recovery. http://www.mdabc.net/mdabc-peer-support-groups and the 3rd link is a list of therapist who deal with OCD https://counsellingbc.com/counsellor...e-disorder-145 .

I don't know if he has a psychiatrist or not, but it would probably be better if he did. Take Care. paul m
            Hi, Thanks for the information. I will check them out for sure. I wish he would agree to get some help.

Comment

Hello Shiko. I too have a child who refused help for years. It left me feeling totally helpless. Fortunately I was slowly (very very slowly, years) able to convince him to seek help. I know how helpless you feel and you have my sympathies . Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
                Hello Shiko. I too have a child who refused help for years. It left me feeling totally helpless. Fortunately I was slowly (very very slowly, years) able to convince him to seek help. I know how helpless you feel and you have my sympathies . Take Care. paul m
                Thanks for the light of hope...I am taking it very slowly with him...I see a step forward then something sets him back several....Regards Kelly

Comment

Hi Shiko - I just want to say what a good father you are trying to help your son. It's so hard when someone doesn't yet see they have a problem. Depression and anxiety are so common.

I didn't really realize until my early 30s that I had depression and then not until my early 50s that I have anxiety. It seems teenagers and even in the 20s we are so busy trying to find our identity it can be hard to separate what is normal confusion from growing up from what is depression and a condition that needs treating. Is there an activity you and he can do together, even if it is not talking about his condition but something like going for a walk with you or a car ride to the store to buy something. Will he let you hug him? I send you best strength and courage to face down this illness with your son. There are very good people on this site so keep posting the challenges and success.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiko View Post
                    Hi, I am new to this. I have an adult son who lives with me and I know is very depressed. He has talked of ending his life. I am at a loss on where, what, how to even begin to help him. He also suffers from Anxiety, was diagnosed really young with OCD.
                    Perhaps his anxiety and his OCD are linked. Very often, anxious people have an OCD attached to them too. If he is depressed then help him come to terms with his triggers, and find him a therapist. I must warn you that therapists are costly, perhaps he could try a church or some sort of charity like Samaritans, the counselling is free in these places.

Comment

Working...
                    X