Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross-taper of Effexor XR with Trentellex - advisable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross-taper of Effexor XR with Trentellex - advisable?

TLDR: Dr. wants to cross-taper Effexor XR to Trentellex. E.X.: drop Effexor from 75mg to 37.5mg while upping the Trentellex from 5mg up to 20mg. A big drop of Effexor like this seems sketchy, any advice?

Hello, I'm (35M) very grateful to be part of this group and I'm sorry if I stray from proper form as I'm new.

I have been on Effexor XR for 18 years for GAD and depression - never more than 150mg/day and currently 75mg. I cannot attests to this med helping me and I continue to take it because of the severity of the W/D syndrome. What I hate most about it is the ***ual dysfunction side effects (lack of ***ual desire, impotence and trouble achieving orgasm). Getting off Effexor has become one of my most important goals in my life.

Recently I've been feeling anxious and depressed and avoided seeing my doctor because I knew he would want to up my dose. I fought long and hard to get to 75mg and the side effects are just barely manageable so I absolutely will not.

He suggested Trintellex, - and knowing my intense desire to get off Effexor - suggested a cross taper. The plan is to take 5mg Trintellex a long with my usual 75mg of Effexor for 2 weeks and then reassess the anxiety/depression and maybe start weaning Effexor from 75mg to 37.5mg while simultaneously upping the Trintellex. I've been lurking here long enough to know I'm in for some serious W/D if I cut by 50%, but does anyone know if the Trintellex will make this bearable?

I would have flat out said no, but after some research I discovered that Trintellex may have less ***ual side-effects and has a much longer half-life (which could be easier to getting off)

As far as my options for weaning Effexor, the generic Effexor XR I get here in Canada has mini-tablets inside and not beads so I'm limited in how I can taper. Immediate release is also unavailable in Canada afaik.

Hi H8FXR and welcome to the forums. Effexor can be a challenge to wean off and adding a low dose of an alternative drug and titrating up, while reducing the Effexor dose can cushion the unpleasant symptoms of Effexor withdrawal. It may still be a bit of a rough ride. I'm sure it has been very frustrating dealing with the Effexor side effects.

I would consider talking to your pharmacist about this. They can monitor your progress and help you with any issues that may arise. They can also talk to your doctor if that would be helpful as well.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ, for now I've opted not to take the Trentellex and I plan to talk to my doctor and pharmacist about getting brand name effexor so I can do a 10%-at-a-time reduction in dosage over a few months by removing beads. Not sure they will agree with this but certainly they can help me get the right form of medication.

Comment

Keep us posted on how you’re doing. Thanks for the update.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome H8FXR. I think there might be a message in that name I was down the whole Effexor road a number of years ago. I think the idea of getting the capsules with the beads inside is creative and hopefully helpful. I hope you are doing ok.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Getting smaller dosage, it's a good choice most of the times. Usually by doing so, you will make your body to get used of not getting medicine anymore. That was exactly the case for me when I had to take the medicine a few times a day, for several months. I am glad that at the end, I managed to overcome the disease, and now I am feeling strong and healthy again. That's mostly because I was using only the best drugs made from natural herbs, and that's a huge difference to be honest.
            Last edited by AJ; July 20, 2022, 12:53 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Comment

Working...
            X