Grief adds up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grief adds up

Today I think my grief caught up with me.

First, there are the losses we've all experienced thanks to the pandemic: things we can't do, places we can't go, people we can't see. Against this background, my brother passed away from cancer last summer. In December a mentor I admired, who was a mainstay of a club I belonged to, passed away and we're only now picking up the pieces. Two ex-brothers-in-law (sisters' husbands) have also died in the last year, which brought back a lot of old memories (good ones, as I'd gotten along well with both of them).. In January my ex-boyfriend's mom, who was sort of a surrogate mother to me, was taken by covid-19.

Despite all that, I haven't shed a great many tears. I'm the kind of person who needs a good cry every so often, it's just sort of cleansing and helpful, but it wasn't happening. Well, today the tears came unexpectedly, but I kind of understand why.

There is a small piece of furniture that my brother had inherited from my parents, that has been passed on to me via his widow. I brought it home today and found a place for it. In looking at it and touching it I felt such grief. So here I now sit with puffy eyes and a red nose, but feeling some sense of release, or relief, or whatever.

My parents have been gone for many years, but it feels like they're right here with me. I love the memories, but not the sense of loss.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Thank you for sharing that with us Uni. Grief seems to have its own time and place and often finds it’s expression in the way you’ve described.

Sometimes the very best thing we can do during those times is allow ourselves to cry.

I can relate to “ I love the memories, but not the sense of loss.”.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks so much AJ
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

You’re welcome Uni.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X