Spravato (esketamine) nasal spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spravato (esketamine) nasal spray

Anyone here used this new drug? https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...856386564.html

I'd like to try it but not sure if any doctors in my city prescribe it.

Quito according to the link you provided it does look like it is being used on patients in Canada. My best suggestion would be to reach out to your doctor and ask them if they are able to prescribe this medication? I would also ask the doctor about the possible side effects. If you do get to try the medication I would love it if you could update me and let me know if it helped you with MDD

Mocha231.

Comment

Quito, I've heard about it but have no experience with it. I hope you can get more information.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Here's the drug company's information page on the drug:

https://www.spravato.com/

Here's another section from the newswire article:

""Mood Disorders Society of Canada is pleased that a new treatment option is available for adults with major depressive disorder who have failed multiple previous treatments," said Dave Gallson, National Executive Director, MDSC. "With 227 unique combinations of symptoms for someone with depression, new options that work in novel ways are essential."

NEWS PROVIDED BY
        Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
        Jul 22, 2020, 07:00 ET

To support safe and responsible use, SPRAVATO® must be administered by the patient under the direct supervision of a healthcare professional and is only available to patients through physicians and pharmacists enrolled in a controlled distribution program called the JANSSEN JOURNEY™ Program.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha231 View Post
          Quito according to the link you provided it does look like it is being used on patients in Canada. My best suggestion would be to reach out to your doctor and ask them if they are able to prescribe this medication? I would also ask the doctor about the possible side effects. If you do get to try the medication I would love it if you could update me and let me know if it helped you with MDD

Mocha231.
          Thanks Mocha. I'm very happy it's available in Canada. I did some research and found one psychiatrist in my city who will prescribe it and one pharmacy that provides it. I belong to a sub reddit on Reddit called r/Spravato. It's great to learn from these folks who've tried it. I will definitely keep you updated on this thread. I see my doc July 23rd at which time I'll ask to be referred to the psychiatrist so I can get a Rx.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            Here's the drug company's information page on the drug:

https://www.spravato.com/

Here's another section from the newswire article:

""Mood Disorders Society of Canada is pleased that a new treatment option is available for adults with major depressive disorder who have failed multiple previous treatments," said Dave Gallson, National Executive Director, MDSC. "With 227 unique combinations of symptoms for someone with depression, new options that work in novel ways are essential."

NEWS PROVIDED BY
            Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
            Jul 22, 2020, 07:00 ET

To support safe and responsible use, SPRAVATO® must be administered by the patient under the direct supervision of a healthcare professional and is only available to patients through physicians and pharmacists enrolled in a controlled distribution program called the JANSSEN JOURNEY™ Program.
            Hi AJ - I was happy to see that part of the article. After some research I learned Spravato is ketamine nasal spray. And I learned Saskatoon has a ketamine infusion clinic.https://thelinden.ca/

Apparently Spravato is $10/treatment with insurance coverage whereas ketamine infusion is more like $500/treatment with zero chance of insurance coverage. So I'mma start with Spravato. I feel like I'm using Harry Potter lingo and casting a spell. SPRAVATO!!!

Comment

Thank you for the update Quito.

Mocha231

Comment

Quito your topic about Spravato (esketamine) and it's availability and distribution is helpful for those looking into it. Thanks for the update.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Well, today I'm happy to report my family physician had no hesitation whatsoever in referring me to a psychiatrist so I can ask about an Rx for Spravato. I haven't been contacted by their office yet but I'm glad to be through first hurdle. My doctor told me he doesn't like to speak on things about which he's not knowledgeable. How refreshing! A lot of times, in my experience, docs tend to shut down ideas if they don't know about a topic. I really appreciate his honesty and integrity. Will pop in here once I see the psychiatrist.

Comment

Hi Quito. That’s great that the referral to a psychiatrist is in process.

It is refreshing that your doctor is open to send you to someone who does have the knowledge base about something he doesn’t.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Quito. I'm glad to hear that your doctor is helping you move along in the situation. He might be a keeper
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Well I saw my psychiatrist last Friday and he dissuaded me from trying Spravato. Even with my 80% insurance coverage, it would cost $160 per treatment and you need 2 treatments per week for the first month. He also said I've only tried 5 ADs in my life so he'd like me to try another one. He prescribed Zoloft. I took 25mg first four days, then 50mg next four days and then 75mg for four days and finally after that 100mg. I see him in a month to assess. So far the only side effects I've noticed is emotional blunting and a bit of insomnia but I expect those to go away after 6 weeks.
                        To be eligible for Spravato a person needs to have tried several ADs and be suicidal. That's not me. So ... we shall see how this Zoloft works. I appreciated how much time the good doctor took with me. He really listened and asked excellent questions. We were able to understand each other quickly which is always nice.

Comment

Thanks for the update Quito. I hope Zoloft works well for you. Your doctor does sound like a keeper.
                          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Quito. I wish you the best with zoloft, I know it works well for many people. Thanks for the info about spravato; it sounds like it's mainly for treatment resistant depression. That makes sense to me, as it's still quite experimental really. It's great to hear that you've found a doctor who seems to be a keeper. Fingers crossed that you'll be feeling better as the days and weeks go by.
                            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thx AJ and Uni. I'm starting my 3rd week and so far I don't notice a change but maybe in another month or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X