Holiday blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday blues

Hi everyone. I have major depression and anxiety disorders. I find cHristmas and New Years make me worse. I used to love the season. But over the years my immediate family has become more distant. It’s gotten to the point where we don’t exchange cards or get together. How depressing. I hear other people talk about their family get togethers and traditions and it saddens me although I’m happy for them. I am so lucky I have a daughter that I’m very close to and we’ll be spending Christmas Day together. I feel bad for her though that she doesn’t feel the joy of family get togethers. I want to make her Christmas special. There will just be the two of us. One of my sisters lives kitty corner to me. How did that happen? I went Christmas shopping with friends the other day and couldn’t get out of the mall soon enough. All the Christmas decorations and families shopping just made me more depressed. I want to pull up my big girl panties and make this a very special Christmas for my daughter who is always supportive of me. Right now I’m trying my hardest to stay out of hospital. My psychiatrist wanted to increase my Effexor but couldn’t because my BP was too high. On Altace now so hopefully we can get my BP down to an acceptable number. I’ve been having anxiety attacks since Thursday and I don’t know what to do for this. Thanks for the ear. Are there any similar situations out there?

Hi Beanie57. You are not alone in struggling with the Christmas expectations, the 'happy' people roaming the malls. Smiles often mask a whole different experience behind them. Christmas is a tough time for many, especially when the family dynamics are complicated and/or not good for our well being.

Shopping, travelling, cooking, and being pulled out of a peaceful quiet routine can be quite unsettling, even down right chaotic. Sometimes simple plans for Christmas can help. I've had Christmas's bouncing from one family house, travelling, and off to another. I don't do that anymore. If the card players want to stay up half the night, I excuse myself and hop off to bed. Keeping meals and medication regimens on track also helps.

You & your doc may have already discussed this, but has a different antidepressant been considered, since Effexor can raise blood pressure? (I know that it's not an easy drug to switch.)
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi AJ. Thanks very much for the reply. I’ve been tried on many antidepressants over the years without success. The Effexor seems to help tho he recently tried decreasing it with the plan to discontinue it but I can’t remember why. He said I didn’t tolerate the decrease so put it back up. I’m really hoping to get my BP under control so he can increase the Effexor for my depression. He’s not happy that I’ve refused maintenance ECTs. I would really like to get my depression under control with medication. Thanks again AJ

Comment

It can be challenging finding a medication that is helping and not causing a problem with side effects that become a problem. I hope you can get things sorted out, and you feel better soon.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X