I seriously hate depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously hate depression

Lately my mood has been too unpredictable for comfort.

Off and on throughout August, I was having these unpleasant times (usually lasting less than a day, thankfully) where I'd feel unstable and overly emotional for no particular reason. It was quite upsetting, and made it difficult to plan anything with people. But because hot weather and I don't mix well, I wasn't surprised. And things settled down considerably during September.

So at my psychiatrist phone appointment last week I was able to report that I was feeling better. However, since then the symptoms have returned a few times. I don't like it one bit. Today is the worst; I just feel like crawling back into bed and crying myself to sleep. This despite the beautiful sunny weather and pretty trees outside my windows.

I have not gone back to bed however. I've been distracting myself with genealogy research and a bit of online church (discovered that in 2020). I made myself a nice pot of herbal tea but only had a few sips, just don't want it. Ate an apple just to get something into my stomach. Took my pills as usual. Read a couple of inspirational pages, but they failed to inspire. Don't want to phone anyone right now because I'd probably just cry, and I've found that crying on the end of a phone line doesn't work too well for me - it's the distance or something. But I may phone a friend later anyway if this keeps up.

I seriously hate depression. Sometimes it saps the joy out of life, no matter how hard you try not to let it. I just want it to go back to wherever it came from and leave me alone.

I have an appointment with a counselor but it's a month away. The mental health drop-in group that helped me through many unstable times has ceased to exist, trashed by the pandemic and lack of staff. I still attend my weekly 12-step group, which is a lifeline, but not the same as a mood disorders group. I confide in a couple of close friends, but mostly I don't want to even talk about how I feel or think about it, because it takes me back to the years when I had prolonged episodes of major depression. Not fun.

My rational brain says chances are this will pass before too long. It's the disordered part of my mind that gets in there and invades the rational part.

I needed to write this. I needed to tell somebody. Because I can explain it better here, somehow. Because I know some of you know exactly what I'm talking about. You know, not wanting to have a mood disorder mess up your life. Or even your week. Or your day, or whatever.

Just so you know, I've had no thoughts of harming myself, nothing like that. And I look forward to being able to come on here and give a more positive, hopeful report. But for right now - ick
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hi Uni. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. Is there any chance you can call your psychiatrist and counselor and get in sooner?

It sounds like you have taken some steps that have been helpful in the past. That's always a good start. Sometimes in spite of our best efforts that dark cloak of depression seems to have us in it's grips. I totally get the feelings of ick and more. "Unstable and emotional' is not a nice place to be at all. Thank you for letting us know that self harm is not a risk right now.

Do you have a friend you can talk to in person? I know it's hard to drag yourself out into the world when you're feeling awful. Perhaps they can come over? Sometimes just sitting with a friend can help. The presence of another caring person can help to shift our thoughts, and help with those feelings.

I don't want to minimize how you're feeling by saying that you will feel better at some point, but you will. I know it doesn't feel like it right now. Hang in there Uni.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you AJ. I made it through yesterday one step at a time, which actually felt like forever.

Sometime in the afternoon I managed to convince myself to take a shower and get dressed. Because I felt a little more presentable after that, I talked myself into going to a coffee shop and taking my writing materials with me. Had to sit in my car for a couple of minutes once I got there, afraid I might cry, but it passed. So I took a corner table by a window and proceeded to text a friend who knows all about depression from personal experience. I don't see her that often, but we have lots of shared history, and have taken turns contacting one another during our bad spells. She offered to talk but as I was in public we conversed by text instead, and it did help; I didn't feel so alone.

I made a sandwich for supper, drank the tea I'd saved from before, and spent the evening with another very patient and understanding friend watching some engaging and silly TV. I still didn't feel all that good, but slept well. Today I wasn't in the same state, thank heaven! Not overly peppy, but functioning better. Although I must admit I've been spooked, and part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop. I guess we'll see.

Could I get a sooner appointment with my psychiatrist or a counselor? Good question. I think my psychiatrist would do a phone call if I asked. And there's a walk-in counselor service here, so if I got there early enough in the day I could hopefully see someone. They are a weekday only set-up with limited hours. I will see what tomorrow brings and if I'm gut punched again, hopefully get myself there. Am telling myself it won't be needed.

Tonight I have my 12-step meeting, to which I will definitely go. I'm still emotionally wobbly, but we've all seen each other that way and it's okay.

That's it for now.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the update Uni. I hope you have a restful sleep tonight and a not so 'wobbly' day tomorrow.
        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ. I had a pretty decent sleep. Today is not too bad so far.

I hope you're doing alright these days yourself.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

A decent sleep certainly helps me for the day ahead.

I'm doing okay thanks. Today was a beautiful 20+ day at a national park. Fall is such a pretty time of year out there. A day spent outdoors is a good day for me.
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Just checking in Uni. How are you doing?
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I know exactly how frustrating can that be , Uni ..
                I eventually convinced myself that depression is an unwelcomed family member who shares the house with me .. or let's say depression is an unwanted pet that lives with me and I can't kick it out ..
                that's it .. I have to adapt myself to live peacefully with it .. Being aware of it is not enough but it can help ..

Comment

Aw Uni, I can relate. Depression is so debilitating sometimes. It's especially disheartening when you've had a good run and then it hits out of nowhere. Even though you've been doing all the right things.

I've been weepy this week but I'm blaming myself for not staying off the sugar since Thanksgiving.

I love that you have group once a week. I also love this forum. I may not be here that much, but I always look for you when I am. Sending strong vibes your way for recovery from this bout. And I look forward to your next post to see how you're doing.

Comment

Thanks AJ and Jafar and Quito for your kind and helpful words

I'm doing not bad, but not great. Still, better than I was when I started this thread. I'm looking forward to the counseling appointment on November 2nd. It's good to have, especially since I don't feel exactly stable. In any case, we'll see how things go between now and then.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using whatever tools I have. I'm back using my SAD light again, and taking B-vitamins. Yesterday a friend and I took a trip to a larger city, did a bit of shopping, and hit a cute cafe. The weather was beautiful and so was the drive. I tried on ten articles of clothing, of which I bought two. Since the pandemic there's not a ton of choice where I live when it comes to clothes that fit me. The main places that carried the kind of stuff I like are no longer in business. So it was a nice little retail therapy day

Jafar, I'm inclined to agree with you that depression is like a pet you wish would just get lost.

Quito, thank you for the vibes, I'll take all I can get. I hope your weepiness goes away soon, sugar or no sugar.

AJ, I wish you the best, and thanks for being here.
                    Last edited by uni; October 18, 2022, 11:48 PM. Reason: Somehow the sentences got back to front ?!
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I'm trying to post not only about my troubles, but about the hopeful times too.

Example: for the second time in two days I went on a shopping trip, this time by myself. It was good medicine. I don't usually like shopping very much, so it's nice when the mood strikes and I actually get some done. My so-called wardrobe has become pretty limited with the pandemic. I have to say though, that driving on a good non-busy highway on a bright 20 degree (yes!) fall day was maybe the best part - plain good for the soul
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Driving in the sun in the fall is one of my favorite things. I love the color of the leaves and the combo of crisp air with warm sun. Getting out is good medicine and confirms that is just what I want to do right now.

Comment

Hey,
                          Hope you are doing well!.

Comment

Working...
                          X