The fear of sounds - misophonia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fear of sounds - misophonia.

I got hit by misophonia hard a few years ago and I still battle it in my daily life. It's not as bad as it was from late-2019 to 2021, but I still struggle. Anyone else? Misophonia can spark a deep depression, and dark times, as it's not recognized, and pretty much, very unknown so the person affected by it can feel alone and unhinged.

Hi ShaneAlHaniff and welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that you have to deal with misophonia.

I had to look it up.
    Misophonia is when certain sounds trigger unusually strong emotions, body changes or reactive behaviors. It’s often possible to treat and manage more severe cases.

I can only imagine that it would feel isolating. What strategies are helpful for you?
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

That's rough friend.. I wish you the best

Comment

Hello ShaneAlHaniff, and welcome. I've never heard of misophonia until now. I clicked on the link AJ posted to read about it. Sorry I'm not of much help, not dealing with it myself. I hope you can find support in some way, and keep seeking it. There have to be others who deal with it and can understand.
        Last edited by uni; February 15, 2023, 12:00 AM.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you, all. Sorry that I just checked this now. Will try to be more active.

Yeah, it's rough. Way easier now, the toughest part was in 2020-2021 when I didn't know what was happening. Just need to keep my fingers close to the `mute' button on the remote and know when it's time to put on the noise-cancelling headphones.

Comment

Working...
          X