Yoga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga?

Just wondering if trying this might help and if anyone else has had success? It has to be better than me researching jobs in Hawaii and thinking of leaving just to get away from winter - don't think my fiance would appreciate being left high and dry like that :S
    "You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."

Hi there,

I've been doing yoga on and off for 10 years now. I find the stetching soothing. Very relaxing. Your experience can depend a great deal on your teacher. I had one that focused mostly on the stretches, which I prefered. My teacher now offers a more mind-centered course. To be honest, I can find the meditation to be unpleasant... spending time looking deep inside my soul... its like cruel torture.... Maybe I just haven't got very good at it.

I'd say give a try. An honest try. Its helped me a great deal. There seem to always be days when nothing helps... but for those other days, its a great companion.

Also, if you haven't yoga-ed before, be sure to take a course - form is REALLY important... you don't want injury on top of everything else! After, if you prefer, or even if you just want to fit yoga into every day, there are lots of great DVDs out there. Wii Fit is good too... if you're into that sort of thing.

Kaight
    Last edited by Kaight; September 23, 2011, 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelling. opps!

Comment

thanks so much Kaight for your reply - I was going to go to a studio and they have a special you can go all you want for a month for $40 - we will see - I have 2 weeks off to fill time so we will see.

Comment

You should definitely give yoga a try. There are a lot of different kinds of yoga, so try a few out until you find one you really like. I tend to stay away from the meditation heavy ones, silence in a group setting drives me crazy. :P

Comment

Yay for yoga!!

I agree that meditative yoga can be horrible. It almost always gives me an anxiety attack (plus I can't sit still for more than a few seconds at a time!)

I started my yoga from a P90X DVD. It was pretty intense but I felt really good, physically afterwards.
          I think that yoga has helped me feel better about my body and stronger too. I suffer from a lot of back
          pain and it really helps to loosen me up.

I tend to like yoga because it is convenient. I have memorized the DVD now so whenever I want to do
          yoga, I just roll out the mat, turn on some tunes (preferably Nine Inch Nails) and get going.

be well,
          astronaut

Comment

Okay - you have convinced me - I am going to go and check out a class tomorrow. Today I went and walked the dogs on a forest path with MAJOR stairs LOL - it was hardcore but enjoyable - mind you I was annoyed with other people using the trail - which is typical when I am not well :S

Comment

Working...
            X